Plastic Tub Caster Board

TJ Cornish

Graduate
Jan 13, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I have standardized on Akro-Mills plastic tubs for miscellaneous stuff not worthy of a real road case. I have found them to be pretty rugged, and they stack, which is nice. Sometimes they get jammed at the top of my van, and for that I'm glad I have a couple different sizes. When I have a real truck, dealing with up to a half dozen of these suckers is annoying if they're loose.

These guys work out fairly well to truck pack dimensions, however a pair are just slightly longer than 30". The good news is the tubs are tapered.

Empty.jpg
I added a 2 1/2" shim on one side, which gives enough offset so the tops of the tubs overlap. Outside dimensions are 30" x 22".

Full.jpg
bottom.jpg
I've started using cam straps to hold things down, and some fender washers hold them nicely.

This was a quick project made of scraps from my junk bin, but I think it will be useful.

Re: Plastic Tub Caster Board

Mine are 39085 and 39120. 39170 has the same footprint and so would also be compatible. The 39280 are bigger and wouldn't fit, but are close to truck pack with just one tub, so a caster board for those would be trivial. I think that size would be too big for general use though - unless you're storing soft goods, that's a lot of volume for heavy things like cables.