Playback

David Luscombe

Sophomore
Mar 24, 2011
Hi All
Just wondering what you guys are using for playback that has a back up that is triggered together. I have seen Minidisc rigs with custom controls with play and stop and next that triggers 4 separate players that come into the desk just incase one fails you have three back ups.
Thanks Dave.

I prefer Ableton Live running on a MBP with Midi triggered scenes by Yamaha user assignable buttons. Backup? ...clone as much machines as you like :)

It is very useful for me and the director to cleanup the mess of cues instead of skipping tracks scroll forward to 15s them fade in 0,5s and slow fade out from 35-40s then hurry up and change the disc in 10s comes the next cue ...but hey mic open, mic open, mic open :)

That's cool to know, except I was not really after multiple laptops open and running. But I am going to have another look at Ableton for sure.

Re: Playback

How many channels do you want to playback?

My preferred solution is always Qlab for straight playback solutions. Its very simple, very reliable, and has some nice features. If this is more for bands playing back accompanying tracks, then I would lean toward ableton. But for straight playback of everything from backing tracks to stings and house music, Qlab is hard to beat.
Simply trigger via MIDI to both machines at once, and you have a backup. Qlab allows you to create your show easily on one machine, and export the programming and media in one hit to the backup machine.

If its just stereo tracks, a pair of Denon F-400's triggered via contact closures would work pretty well and would fit in 1u...

Hi,

Yes sorry, this is mainly for stereo, dance concerts and the like. I was thinking the denon stuff, but was also looking at the networkable Denon stuff. Using SD cards for the storage makes sense to me. I am a trying to get something other than a laptop which I currently use.
Cheers.

Re: Playback

We've been using a modified Playback Control rig for Cee Lo's shows. Utilizes 2 MacBooks running Digital Performer triggered to play via footswitch. We have an iPad using an app called TouchOSC to select songs. Works great. If the 'A' machine goes down the 'B' machine picks up within 3-5 frames so the changeover is inaudible. Audio is output and switched via the aforementioned Radial SW8.