"Pro Channel Strip" Mini Mixer??

Boyd Williamson

Freshman
Mar 1, 2016
Does such a thing exist?

I often find myself in the position of needing a very small number of mixer channels (2-4), but simultaneously desiring that they be fully featured, at least as far as EQ is concerned ie; dual full parametric mids, HPF, perhaps even built in de-essing.

The applications are typically set & forget / client operated scenarios, more often than not with poor acoustics and/or less than ideal speaker placement options. Sources typically range from a lectern mic or wireless handheld +aux line (BG music etc) to acoustic solo and duo musicians. Client operation is usually limited to muting & basic volume adjustments

I can achieve the desired results with a rack top mounted mixer & outboard graphic or parametric EQ's, but this large, cumbersome, and most importantly - unsightly (bearing in mind that client operation requires the unit to be nearby for easy reach).

A compact mixer with typical 2-3 band fixed EQ simply does not cut it (literally - they cannot cut problem freqs without decimating the source material). A swept mid won't quite do it either. Dual swept mids 'might' just get there.

I mostly find myself using rack EQ's as channel inserts to avoid unnecessarily notching recorded music etc An EQ inserted on an assignable bus would be ideal, as usually the same EQ is required across the mic channels, but good luck finding that on a compact desk - it's hard enough to find one with channel inserts!

I have a preference for analog (mostly due to the simplicity of a "one knob per function" interface, and the immediacy of response) although I'm open to other options (so long as they do not require an Ipad etc to work).

Ideas? Your thoughts & suggestions would be much appreciated.

It's more from the studio world, but have you considered building something to your liking using 500 series modules? You can find an assortment of very HQ preamps, EQ's, compressors etc in this form factor, and you could use a simple line mixer for routing. That keeps you all analog as you said you preferred and yet with a small footprint.

Here's some examples, but the options are almost endless from a ton of manufacturers at a wide range of price points..... Vintage King is a good place to look....

Untitled-1.png

500E-Series-EQ-Module-bg.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    978 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Jason Joseph
It does look like 12 channels is the cutoff for two sweepable mids. It would be cool to see a product with 4 mic inputs and a couple stereo line inputs with something like a A&H mix wiz channel strip. Its all doable digital now though. A small box and a surface. Although I agree with these small setups the simplicity of analog has some advantages.

Is this for a fixed permanent installation, if so there are quite a few products that will do what you need and after programming and set up just leave the operators with the controls they only need to get to.
Products like: DBX Zone Pro, Bi-Amp Nexia, BSS London

Something like an Allen Heath QuPac or SB could be used and after it's set only give the day to day operators the password for the basic or standard operating levels.