project studio gear - to buy or not buy please help

Mar 11, 2013
salonica
hi to all,

please, i would like to have your comments on the follow recoring gear i am planning to buy for my project studio.

tascam us1800 audio interface usb
2 ribbon mics superflux r102
4 audio technica at 2050 mics
2 heavy duty mic boom stands
4 mic stands
nocturn controller mainly for fade ins/outs
novation zero g mmk2 controller
sony acid music studio 7
adobe audition cs 5 audio editor
vst plugins elemental audio finalis
vst plugin wave arts tube saturator
vienna symphonic orchestra dvd 1/2/3 strings, brass, voices, percussion
van den hull diamond series cables for monitors and mics
alesis active monitors s520 with stands
fostex cr300 cdr stand alone (used)
yamaha mu90r (used)
dave smith synth prophet 08 synth module (used)
roland jv1080 synth module (used)
rme ad1 ad/da converter 20 bit
audio technica ath-anc9 headphones
4 optical cables 1 meter

quotation : euros 3600

the sales manager claimed that with this setup i can record what ever i like with good sound quality and i have to spend over 15000 euros on a diferent setup in order to get a better sound quality but with only 15 to 20% sound diference.

i need to record the follows :

music for short movies and wedding videos
piano solo
small acoutic bands (piano, flute, violin, quitar with vocal) or small ensembles
synth music

i dont know if a demo recording can help to tell me more about the sound quality if i upload a music track.

thanks in advance

katerina

Re: project studio gear - to buy or not buy please help

hi to all,

please, i would like to have your comments on the follow recoring gear i am planning to buy for my project studio.

tascam us1800 audio interface usb
2 ribbon mics superflux r102
4 audio technica at 2050 mics
2 heavy duty mic boom stands
4 mic stands
nocturn controller mainly for fade ins/outs
novation zero g mmk2 controller
sony acid music studio 7
adobe audition cs 5 audio editor
vst plugins elemental audio finalis
vst plugin wave arts tube saturator
vienna symphonic orchestra dvd 1/2/3 strings, brass, voices, percussion
van den hull diamond series cables for monitors and mics
alesis active monitors s520 with stands
fostex cr300 cdr stand alone (used)
yamaha mu90r (used)
dave smith synth prophet 08 synth module (used)
roland jv1080 synth module (used)
rme ad1 ad/da converter 20 bit
audio technica ath-anc9 headphones
4 optical cables 1 meter

quotation : euros 3600

the sales manager claimed that with this setup i can record what ever i like with good sound quality and i have to spend over 15000 euros on a diferent setup in order to get a better sound quality but with only 15 to 20% sound diference.

i need to record the follows :

music for short movies and wedding videos
piano solo
small acoutic bands (piano, flute, violin, quitar with vocal) or small ensembles
synth music

i dont know if a demo recording can help to tell me more about the sound quality if i upload a music track.

thanks in advance

katerina

You can buy that gear, or substitute most of it for other brands, models etc in the same price range without noticing much difference. I personally wouldn't listen to a sales managers claims about what your results will be. You're experience and skill is going to make a far bigger impact then the list of gear you are using. Do you have experience with any of the software or hardware that you listed? What gear are you used to using to complete these projects currently?

I work on a simple recording rig I own (mac mini/logic) and get the same quality as the $10k+ Pyramix workstation I use at work... the difference is workflow, and speed across a larger array of tasks... but the quality is pretty much only as good as the rest of your signal chain on either platform. If you dig Acid, or Audition... then you can likely be productive on either... but it's unlikely a salesman will be able to make your mind up for you.

Re: project studio gear - to buy or not buy please help

dear steve, i thank you for your kind reply.

yes, i agree with you.

i have an experience with sony acid and adobe audition 2 for a year now and i have all ready finished some music but with samples and loops only.

ok, i found it very easy to work for the moment by this way but unfortunately the quality of my samples and loops varies.

regarding the sales man who suggested me that particular gear is a relative of mine and i trust him 100% and my only serious concern if i can make good quality music with the items i have mentioned in my previous post.

money is not a problem and i want only to record, finish and publish good quality music.

earlier today i had a conversation with sales man for an alternative option such as the tascam multitrack recorder dm 680 or tthe tascam hsp82 with the tascam controller rcf82 at a much lower price.

yes, i fully understand that everyone likes different brand of sound gear and the sound quality is somewhat subjective and it is really very difficult for a starter like me to decide what is best for me so that's why i have asked for your kind help and advice.

thanks again