Proprietary B.S.

Re: Proprietary B.S.

In some ways I don't mind slightly non-standard screws on electronics. It's not a major hurdle to get over (sets of bits are cheap enough to buy) but it stops novices from messing with them.

Most of us will have relatives or friends who come to us with broken items. It's a lot easier if they are asking ''can you open this up'' as opposed to ''I took it apart and can't get it back together again''

Nevermind, didn't read the entire linked article...
icon_redface.gif

Those are not new, at all.

I've seen them used to secure switch plates in a 70 year old building.

Maybe I'll finally be able to get my hands on a bit now.

(I win CU)

Not ''Proprietary BS'' by any stretch.

It so is.

First, if you send your iPhone in for repair, they are removing the philips #00 screws (standard, commercially available) with the pentolobular ones. There are no ''legal'' commercially available drivers for these, most people are selling a 5 sided philips to remove them.

I'm pretty sure the screw head is patented and if a company (other than Apple) sells them they are probably doing so illegally.

Not ''Proprietary BS'' by any stretch.

Still see no reason for it. They don't hold the device together any better than the original screws.

It's also frustrating to start a repair and have to stop-and-hold while something arrives by snail-mail.

I've found if you grind a larger jewellers flat-bladed screwdriver to fit the width between 2 lobes you can easily turn the screw.

Just getting frustrated over the last few years about non-serviceable wasteful electronics design. If you must make things disposable then go all-out, I no longer want to ''own'' an electronic commodity appliance, just sell me a ''subscription'' and send me a new one every update cycle. Please just take the old one back and utilize it's elements as much as possible in a recycling manner and not dumped next to a village in Malaysia or something.