PRX 535 thermal fail today

Tim Perry

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Utica, NY
This PRX 535 was being driven pretty hard while in high heat and direct sunlight.

It came back on after a few min. I added the fan it it was fine for the rest of the show.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 0
Re: PRX 535 thermal fail today

On my gig last week, the live-stage soundco brought out a little PRX rig that made it through 105F temps, but they didn't have to push it very hard as our rig covered the rest of the park. They needed to fill a triangle about 80' wide by 60' deep, with "concert" levels only needed right down front.

I wish I'd had a chance to hear it. Based on the tonality of the feed we got from them, I think the rig was more tonally balanced than the proprietary box they previously used.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

For outdoor shows, I like to use covers on my speakers from http://undercovernyc.com/ They have weather resistant covers that can stay on your speakers, and offer them in white which keeps the temperature down on the equipment.

Wouldn't such a cover inhibit heat dissipation of the passively cooled amp modules? I understand they're acoustically transparent & water resistant. But it seems heat getting trapped could be an issue.

Greg

Wouldn't such a cover inhibit heat dissipation of the passively cooled amp modules? I understand they're acoustically transparent & water resistant. But it seems heat getting trapped could be an issue.

The only time I've had a problem with this sort of thing was when the loudspeakers had already gotten a little rain, and then we tried to cover them. The cover stuck to the amp modules and inhibited their cooling, on a hot day when the system was getting beat about as hard as it ever does. This resulted in brief thermal shutdowns during the encore. As long as there is some space between the cover and the amp bucket (as there usually is due to cabling) I have never had problems.

What was the Temps outside?

I believe it was 95+ but based on a temperature measurement if a smiler show last year the pavement was probably about 135 F.

I could have brought out a passive rig but this configuration was ideal to cover the tents where the bulk of the audience was.

The show was a 19 piece swing band.

I neglected to consider in advance that mixing for 100% PA sound would stress the equipment more then the usual mix of stage volume plus PA.