Qlab for iPad

Jan 19, 2011
Oslo, Norway, Norway
drbentsen.no
Is there something like Qlab for iPad?

I have a drummer who want's something smaller than a Macbook for playing tracks during a gig.

Or, is there a reliable remote solution availabe for Qlab so the Mac can be in monitor world?

Edit:

I found a app called Qlab Remote from Figure 53.
Anyone tried it?
How reliable is the connection between the iPad and the Mac?

Last edited:
Re: Qlab for iPad

Is there something like Qlab for iPad?

I have a drummer who want's something smaller than a Macbook for playing tracks during a gig.

Or, is there a reliable remote solution availabe for Qlab so the Mac can be in monitor world?

Edit:

I found a app called Qlab Remote from Figure 53.
Anyone tried it?
How reliable is the connection between the iPad and the Mac?

The Qlab Remote App is exceptionally good and easily allows cues to be triggered as if the host Mac was sitting right beside you. I have used this system quite extensively and never had a problem yet. Having said that, the reliability of the connection between the iPad and the Mac is only as good as your wireless router and is obviously dependent on what other equipment is operating on the same wireless range. Best bet is to have your router (secured with a password obviously) running on the 5.0 GHz frequency range as opposed to the 2.4 GHz range where it would be competing with a whole bunch of other wireless equipment.

I have a wireless setup I use in the 2.4GHz range that has been rock solid so far.
A Netgear WNR3500L in my FOH rack that provides DHCP and a Linksys WRT54GL running dd-Wrt acting as a repeater/extender in my stage rack.
So far this network has given me a stable connection on both Lake Controller an ViSi Remote.
The stage rack lives on the edge of the stage in sight line from the drummer, I'm thinking about giving it a try.
Put the Mac on a cabled network from my stagerack maybe.
The fallback would be to put the Mac on the drum riser, but I'd like to avoid that (CO issue).

I've used QLab remote a few times, hasn't failed me yet.

I wish they would add the ability to configure surfaces from the iPad, which was my original reason for buying the App, but it is still useful for launching clips remotely.

I have a wireless setup I use in the 2.4GHz range that has been rock solid so far.
A Netgear WNR3500L in my FOH rack that provides DHCP and a Linksys WRT54GL running dd-Wrt acting as a repeater/extender in my stage rack.
So far this network has given me a stable connection on both Lake Controller an ViSi Remote.
The stage rack lives on the edge of the stage in sight line from the drummer, I'm thinking about giving it a try.
Put the Mac on a cabled network from my stagerack maybe.
The fallback would be to put the Mac on the drum riser, but I'd like to avoid that (CO issue).

How do you have the linksys set up? Do you have a cable between the router and the linksys? Do you have both of them set to the same SSID? I have wondered how to do this. Is it as simple as putting them on sep channels?

Same SSID, I'm using DD-WRT in the Linksys. It has a feature called Repeater Bridge that wirelessly extends the network from my primary AP(wnr3500L).
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

I can run a cable between them if I have too, but most of my gigs are so small that my network is okay with it. I've done outdoor gigs for a couple of thousand people and at one point the Lake controller got a bit slow, but it worked. I wouldn't put anything mission critical on that network without a cabled backup, but it's sweet when you're setting up/soundchecking.

+1 for Go Button as well. I just used it for a month in a practical prop record player to play 40+ cues per night and it worked flawlessly the entire run.