Rack Depth

Sep 12, 2012
SW Ontario
Going to start construction tonight of a Insert/FX rack. The deepest component is a rackmount drawer that is 16" deep, thinking about going 17" for a little bit of wiggle room, the rest of the components are around 12" deep or less. Any reasons why this would be a bad idea?

Any reason 5" of clearance would be inadequate for connectors and snakes? I'd be willing to go an inch or two deeper but after that things are starting to get a bit unwieldy.

I have an 8 space x 14 inch deep case that is my primary "carry" rack that holds compressers and a multi effect unit. Keeping the insert snake for the compressers and patch cords for the effects is possible but tight. If you can fit a 16 inch deep drawer, then you will probably have plenty of room above that.

Another thing to consider is the size of the other cases you have. Mismatched sizes don't pack or stack as well as having the same size.

I have an 8 space x 14 inch deep case that is my primary "carry" rack that holds compressers and a multi effect unit. Keeping the insert snake for the compressers and patch cords for the effects is possible but tight. If you can fit a 16 inch deep drawer, then you will probably have plenty of room above that.

Another thing to consider is the size of the other cases you have. Mismatched sizes don't pack or stack as well as having the same size.

This will be the first of many, but you bring up a good point. I should go measure my iTechs.

Edit: So if I plan ahead I need about 19" of depth for my IT6Ks and a comfortable amount of space for the 20A connector (which sticks out the furthest).

Last edited:
Re: Rack Depth

This will be the first of many, but you bring up a good point. I should go measure my iTechs.

Edit: So if I plan ahead I need about 19" of depth for my IT6Ks and a comfortable amount of space for the 20A connector (which sticks out the furthest).
And if you plan ahead for truck packing and patch snake wind up in the back, you will want to make it 22.5" deep.