Radian 760NEOPB

Sep 12, 2012
SW Ontario
Anybody have any experience with the Radian 760NEOPB, or even just Radian in general?

Specs seem good, max output seems very high but will it measure up real world?

Can't find any reviews online, how would it compare to a B&C DE750TN?

Re: Radian 760NEOPB

Anybody have any experience with the Radian 760NEOPB, or even just Radian in general?

I started using Radian when they were first started and used their replacement diaphragms. They were GREAT.

Later they started making their own drivers. I figured it would be a good thing-since they already had a good history with me in the diaphragm dept-and that is the hard part.

Well I was wrong. I had all kinds of failures. Not burning-just wires breaking-often without any real evidence.

After a bit I stopped using them.

I have heard of others having the same experiences-during the same time frame.

PLEASE NOTE: This was a couple of decades ago (late 80s) and things may have changed since then.

I have not used them since 1990-so the above opinion/experience may be completely null and void.

You asked for "any experience"--------------------------

I really did say any experience was welcome :)

A few other guys have alluded to QC issues, but also said that they occurred years ago, hmmmmm... :?~:-?~:???:

I installed a few Radian 465PB's in a project last year and they have performed just fine and appear to be of good quality. Thats my only experience with Radian to date.

Radian was the OEM for the first Microwedges. I have three and have had surprisingly few issues, even after slamming them for around 6 years now..

Spenser,

The 760NEOPB is probably pretty comparable to the DE750TN on paper, although I know nothing about Radian's drivers in practice. The DE750 is a generation old now and, while a very good and popular driver, you might look at our new DE95TN - the 2" exit version of our new DE90TN compression driver. The time domain response of our new drivers is really outstanding, and the durability has even been improved as well. It is difficult for me to compare our specifications to Radian's directly, as they are clearly using some other method to determine sensitivity. The Radian product is also neo, so for a direct comparison you should really look at our DE980TN (1.4" Exit) or DE985TN (2" Exit). The ceramic DE9xTN and neo DE98xTN share the same diaphragm and phase plug.

B&C Speakers
B&C Speakers

file.jpegfile-2.jpeg

I have the 745neo, 1.4 exit. I first tried that driver on a B&C Me 90 and was not very happy, I put the 745's on a faital lth 142 horn, and everything was fine. It didn't have the grainy sound and comb filtering like the me90.
As far as 115db on the 745 vs 107 db on on a de75ptn, ( de75ptn which is my favorite right now on a eaw la 325 waveguide lens), I only turned down the hi output on the driverack 2 -3 db, so I'm not sure where they get the 115db?
Hope this helped some.
The eaw waveguide is my favorite only because of coverage up close, most of the shows I do are zero to 75 out from stage, and the eaw fill the immediate stage area better then the faital 142. Wider coverage on the eaw's.

Thanks for all the input guys, those new B&C drivers kind of put me back to square one. I'm not under a time restraint as this I mostly DIY for fun, so I've got lots of time to consider my options.

Any experience with the ME60? Would it be possible to put a 1.4" driver on it?

Thanks for all the input guys, those new B&C drivers kind of put me back to square one. I'm not under a time restraint as this I mostly DIY for fun, so I've got lots of time to consider my options.

Any experience with the ME60? Would it be possible to put a 1.4" driver on it?

Spenser, while I have no direct experience with the ME60 if you want to use a 1.4" throat driver you can just use the 1.4" versions of the ones I mentioned above: the DE980TN and DE90TN. I have lots of experience with our ME90 and it has great sound and great off axis response in my opinion. The only difference between the 1.4" and 2" throat drivers in this case is more material at the front to accommodate the longer flare to reach the larger exit diameter.

Radian drivers with the Mylar/aluminum diaphragm assembly have always displayed lower audible distortion than titanium suspended equivalents (to my ears).

Build quality is excellent. I think they OEM'd for some Meyer products...

Radian drivers with the Mylar/aluminum diaphragm assembly have always displayed lower audible distortion than titanium suspended equivalents (to my ears).
+1

I use Radian drivers in a couple different cabinets, both the 850PB and the 950PB. We've had zero issues with premature failures, and the only downside I've heard/measured is that apparently due to manufacturing tolerances, there seems to be a bit of variation between drivers, though not a significant amount. Sound quality is beyond excellent: the only high drivers I have experience with that sound cleaner are those from TAD.

Please note that Faital horns are not constant directivity horns. They are tractrix horns and they will sound much better (more sparkle tops) on axis. But the tone will change as you move to the side. Unlike a CD horn that will have a bit duller sound but the tonality will remain at its full coverage.

Please note that Faital horns are not constant directivity horns. They are tractrix horns and they will sound much better (more sparkle tops) on axis. But the tone will change as you move to the side. Unlike a CD horn that will have a bit duller sound but the tonality will remain at its full coverage.

That is something that many people are not aware of, and a VERY GOOD reason to not only listen on axis-but off axis.

It depends on what area the horn is trying to cover as to whether one design is better or not.

With ANY loudspeaker, you REALLY need to walk the patterns (side to side and front to back) to get an idea of what it will sound like when covering an audience area.

Simply listening on axis is only good for studio monitors or a personal listening system.

MANY (most) speakers sound different in different parts of the room. Is that important? it depends on the user and their expectations.