Realtime EQ changes on "Money Channels"

Jeff Babcock

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
jeffbabcock.org
I am curious to see how many others are doing this:

As I come initially from a recording background (and am still involved in that), I have on many occasions done some pretty meticulous EQ automation work on important tracks such as lead vocals, adjusting EQ on the fly as the song progresses.

Recently I've started doing this to a more limited degree on live mixes as well. I find it can really make a significant difference in a vocal especially, particularly if you have a vocalist with a lot of tone variation across their range.

Of course, it's not easy to do this unless you work regularly with an act or know the material, as you have to anticipate things, and it's not really practical in combat audio situations. The mixing console must also have an EQ section that you can get around on very quickly.

Just curious to hear who else is doing this, and any thoughts you have about what works best for you, and what sorts of adjustments you typically make. Most often I am working in the 2-4K range as well as 10K(ish)

Cheers
Jeff

Re: Realtime EQ changes on "Money Channels"

Most of my changes are during song breaks as lead singers change from song to song, but I make some changes to both eq and vocal effects as well as level as singers go from backup roles to lead roles. I think this helps create separate space in the mix for each of the vocals.

Of course this depends on having the channel eq's fairly straight up in the first place, and not having to use channel eq for feedback problems. Funny how close to straight up the board eq's are when I set up my own system, regardless of place, while if I am on someone else's rig, who knows where the channels will end up just out of necessity.

I'll tweak on the fly as needed for changes when needed, got to love it whent he singer goes from not cupping the mic to cupping. Sometime times that does not leave you with much to work with.
Also with some singers their speaking voice between songs may need a different touch of eq.

I'm a tweaks as needed guy. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Once I have a nice, clear vocal sound, I normally leave it as is. I'll do the usual cut around 2.5k when he cups the mic, and the low mid cuts in the 200-400hz range, but otherwise, I don't fuss with it much.

I do however use EQ as an effect sometimes. A common one is splitting the vocal into 2 channels and using EQ to create a "lo-fi" effect. I also use EQ in conjunction with my reverbs, de-essers and compressors to do some cool shit.

Evan

I'm of the philosophy similar to Evan, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

If I have already achieved the sound I'm looking for, I won't adjust anything. If it's not where I want it to be, then adjustments are in order.

The adjustments can be real time, as mic technique or distance changes, or as singers change, or whatever.

I often find my EQ changing from 'singing' mode to 'talking in between songs' mode, as one singer I often work with has a very bassy between-song voice but a very cutting, almost piercing singing voice.

Anytime I approach a system and hear that the soundguy left the SM58 flat and isn't adjusting it (as if he can't hear that real voices don't have +10dB at 200Hz?), I immediately assume he's clueless and move on.