Reconing Evx 180b for my qrx 218 subs

Conrad Muzoora

Freshman
Feb 15, 2014
Uganda
www.kooleventug.com
So finally one of the woofers in my qrx 218 boxes gave up the ghost. Started making some crackling sound and on opening up found a darkened partially burnt voice coil. I have a total of 4 boxes with around the same age approx 8 years or so. Decided to make an inspection of all 8 woofers and they all have some small cracks in the cloth surround. I have looked online and landed on these recone kits. http://reconekits.com/evx180areconekit-2.aspx . Anyone used these to restore their woofers? The original in the woofer has a voice coil that's painted with some black paint (or are they just dark due to the age)
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Reconing Evx 180b for my qrx 218 subs

So finally one of the woofers in my qrx 218 boxes gave up the ghost. Started making some crackling sound and on opening up found a darkened partially burnt voice coil. I have a total of 4 boxes with around the same age approx 8 years or so. Decided to make an inspection of all 8 woofers and they all have some small cracks in the cloth surround. I have looked online and landed on these recone kits. Electro Voice EVX 180 B Recone kit . Anyone used these to restore their woofers? The original in the woofer has a voice coil that's painted with some black paint (or are they just dark due to the age)

Conrad,

Some photos of your failed woofer might be helpful here, but the short story is I would never accept anything but a factory re-cone kit. I know the guy who designed the B revision of the EV 180 woofer, and while it may be an older design there's a reason you still find it in modern products. If building woofers and winding voice coils was easy, anyone could do it. Honestly you may just want to look for a fresh woofer, I find that by the time a re-cone kit has been purchased and installed you're pretty close to the cost of a new woofer anyway, and you know for sure that woofer was built correctly.

Thanx Bennett,
Do you know any online dealer that has authentic EV drop in kits? In the meantime, anyone used the ones above has any comments? I need to make an informed decision. The kits cost about 100$ woofers are about 400$ shipping is another hassle esp for woofers that weigh close to 14 pounds.
Conrad

Sent from my iPhone

Thanx Bennett,
Do you know any online dealer that has authentic EV drop in kits? In the meantime, anyone used the ones above has any comments? I need to make an informed decision. The kits cost about 100$ woofers are about 400$ shipping is another hassle esp for woofers that weigh close to 14 pounds.
Conrad

Sent from my iPhone
I don't know about these days-but "back in the day" the EVs were never "drop in".

You would get the voice coil glued to the spider-but that was it.

The rest had to be glued together and assembled as it was put together.

Some manufacturers supply complete kits already assembled and others only partially assembled (CV was like EV in that regard) and yet others just supply the individual parts. Those are the hardest-since there is so much room for error in lining them up.

FYI - Contact John Mueller at Mueller speaker service in Richland PA.
John was doing recone's at Clair for years and is still a JBL, EV, RCF, and just about everyone else, factory authorized service center.
He knows more about what works and what doesn't than anyone I know. And I know plenty.
717-866 2562 http://muellerspeakers.com/
Tell him I sent you.

You would get the voice coil glued to the spider-but that was it.

Hello

I have done reconing for some 20 -30 years now - I never heard of EV-reconekits to be nothing else than a set of parts - allways had to glue the spider into voice coil - still some sets in stock.
Has someone been pissing in my pocket or what ... ?

Them drop in kits are really a very attractive option. Am not sure I could get anyone in my neighborhood who could accurately assemble the kit from coil, spider cone etc. but for fixing in a drop in kit, there is plenty.

Conrad

Sent from my iPhone

Them drop in kits are really a very attractive option. Am not sure I could get anyone in my neighborhood who could accurately assemble the kit from coil, spider cone etc. but for fixing in a drop in kit, there is plenty.

Conrad

Sent from my iPhone
The
drop in "kits" are not exactly drop in. There are still plenty of places to screw up.

Some base knowledge and understanding is required.

Things like : not cleaning the gap and the mounting edges properly will screw with you. Having the lead-in wires the proper length-to short and they will pull out-to long and they will short out-getting good glue joints on the mounting surfaces-proper drying time-centering the dust cap and getting a good glue joint around it and so forth.

Yes the "hard part" is done-but not everything.

The
drop in "kits" are not exactly drop in. There are still plenty of places to screw up.

Some base knowledge and understanding is required.

Things like : not cleaning the gap and the mounting edges properly will screw with you. Having the lead-in wires the proper length-to short and they will pull out-to long and they will short out-getting good glue joints on the mounting surfaces-proper drying time-centering the dust cap and getting a good glue joint around it and so forth.

Yes the "hard part" is done-but not everything.

Agreed,
But I have some guys dealing in speaker repair with some experience. I may not trust them assembling the kit as good but they should be fine centering the coil in the gap etc.
Conrad

Sent from my iPhone

Doing the maths,

I need a total of 8 kits, that's a cost of. 8*130$ = 1040$ approx 100$ tax customs for all etc 1140$
New drivers at 500$ incl freight, add approx 100$ customs (complete drivers with EV badge attract more tax) = 600$ *8= 4800$

Cost saving for recones a whooping 3660$

All I need is real world opinions of people who have used these to give me the confidence to make the plunge. Thanks to all for the input so far.

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Sent from my iPhone

I have used some of the kits from the rconekits site you mentioned. They do offer some OEM drop in replacements from certain brands. I think the guy gets some of the kits direct and puts them together and adds a couple bucks. Not sure about the EV ones you had listed.
Also it mentioned you have to re-use your current rubber gasket. Not sure how that would work especially if the ones you have are damaged. That being said the kits I replaced are still running strong a few years in.

FYI - Contact John Mueller at Mueller speaker service in Richland PA.
John was doing recone's at Clair for years and is still a JBL, EV, RCF, and just about everyone else, factory authorized service center.
He knows more about what works and what doesn't than anyone I know. And I know plenty.
717-866 2562 http://muellerspeakers.com/
Tell him I sent you.

Here it is, just a few comments above. Scroll back people.

It doesn't matter where you are. He is on EST time -5:00