Record player adjustment

Jan 19, 2011
Oslo, Norway, Norway
drbentsen.no
I have a SL1200 record player that has a bit of distortion on some LPs at the end(inner) part.
Someone told me that I have to adjust the tonearm to fix this, but I have no idea how to.
Googling it gave me tons of hits on hifi-forums, but a lot of it didn't make sense.

So, anyone her know how to do it? :)

Re: Record player adjustment

Yup.. anti-skating...

IIRC records have more distortion on the inner grooves even with proper set up. Not a very linear medium.

JR
And the outer grooves can handle more bass than the inner grooves.

This is because the tone arm is less likely to skip when traveling in a "straighter" line.

So the smart producers would put the tracks with the most bass on the outer grooves.

FWIW: LPs has an interesting stereo imaging and distortion character compared to Tidal that I do most of my music playback from. There are some obvious sonical differences between the same tracks played on both mediums, but without knowung the mastering process/signal processing chain in detail, it's hard to say whats "better" or "correct".

Sent from my iPhone

FWIW: LPs has an interesting stereo imaging and distortion character compared to Tidal that I do most of my music playback from. There are some obvious sonical differences between the same tracks played on both mediums, but without knowung the mastering process/signal processing chain in detail, it's hard to say whats "better" or "correct".

Sent from my iPhone
Vinyl playback is a mature technology so the flaws are fairly well inspected.

A significant difference is lack of stereo separation (due to cartridge technology) that can dramatically impact stereo imaging.

Another characteristic (not really a flaw) is the need to mix most deep bass to mono to reduce cartridge mistracking.

There a shopping list of deviations from ideal but ranking them for audibility is subjective, so I won't.

JR