RF antenna; Directional vs Omin-Directional

I'm expanding the RF Rig and I am wanting to focus this posting to the antenna's being used on the Combiner/Distributor.

Directional antenna like the Sennheiser A2003
Omni-Directional like Sennheiser A1031

I'm looking to know which is better in given situations. Is spending twice as much to get a directional paddle better?

I do work a good bit in DC and get near the Capital & Whitehouse.

Currently have:
1x Shure UA844 & 1/2 wave stick antenna's
2x EW500
2x Shure SLX
1x AC2 with A2003 paddle
5x EW300-G2-IEM (5th one floats and uses the standard 6" metal stick)

My intended RF rig in the near future:
1x ASA1
2x EW500 (main vocalist)
2x EW300 (backing, one-off vocals)
2x AC2
6-8x EW300 IEMs
*(may start buying the G3 systems and I'll get an AC3 for the G3 systems, depends on Money).

Re: RF antenna; Directional vs Omin-Directional

Really depends on your application. If you are mainly using them in a stage like area where they will generally be in the same direction from the transmitter antennas, then directional antennas will help to cut out some of the background noise.

On the other hand if you have your receivers set up in a central area and the transmitter move around all over the place like in a trade show or other similar event, then omnis are they way to go. The real answer is: get both.

Directional antennas are a great asset. Passive paddles can do both transmit and receive. They are a relatively "dumb" device and can be mixed/matched across brands (as long as the bandwith of paddle is appropriate). Professional Sound Corporation has sharkfin antennas that work very well and cost less than the "profit center" ancillaries wireless MFRs sell.

For the next level, I never regretted purchasing either the PWS Helical or Senni CP's.

Is spending twice as much to get a directional paddle better?

You could always spend fraction of the price and add in a little bit of DIY and get the Log Periodic 400-1000 MHz shark fin from this place...
http://www.wa5vjb.com/products1.html

I bought a pair and soldered a bnc jumper cable right to the board. Add a mic stand adapter, paint it black and you just saved hundreds. BTW, I tested them next to the Audio Technica ATWA49 and they work at least every bit as well.

A couple of thoughts on antennas. First, I do agree with Justice's overview. Just to add a couple of details:

Omni antennas, if passive, are usually unity gain, while directional antennas have some gain (like 4 dB or so for LPDAs). This can be helpful in overcoming cable or splitter losses. Whenever you can be passive in your antenna system, it is a plus. One additional thing to think about with directional antennas - don't only think about pointing them at the talent, also think about pointing the rear (null) towards unwanted RF sources like TV towers, etc.

I am looking at the RF Venue Diversity Fin antenna for my handheld mics.

I plan on replacing the Shure UA844 with a Sennheiser ASA1 after buying 2 EW300-e835 systems. I know brands don't matter, but the Sennheiser provides power for the EW500/EW300 systems and is only a half rack space.