Ribbons and Stage Wedges

Chris Greco

Sophomore
Feb 15, 2012
Yonkers, NY
Thinking of possibly attempting some ribbons on a horn section and was wondering if anyone had experience using them with onstage mons. Figuring that the pattern might present some problems with the levels that horn players like to typically hear in their wedges.

Re: Ribbons and Stage Wedges

It depends on how the players hold their instruments. Do the trumpets/trombones hold their horns up or are the playing down? If up, the wedges should actually be aimed fairly close the figure 8 null point. If they don't hold their horns up very well, they may not work. I've only used ribbons a couple of times for a horn section; not live, but in a "live" studio session. There were cranking floor wedges and a live drum kit in the same room (behind the horns) and they posed no problems. That might be quite a bit different than on stage though.

Should work great for saxes with the mic aimed down a bit into the bell.

Re: Ribbons and Stage Wedges

Thinking of possibly attempting some ribbons on a horn section and was wondering if anyone had experience using them with onstage mons. Figuring that the pattern might present some problems with the levels that horn players like to typically hear in their wedges.

I did a tour with AT4081s and wedges. I only had a problem once, in a church (very reverberant, d'oh), when the guitar player wanted to have more level than usual. I used a 421 for monitors that night.