[WTB] Rider Friendly drum kit

Jan 10, 2011
Abingdon, MD
www.harfordsound.com
A little OT, but I'm on the hunt for a "rider friendly" drum kit. Looking for at least a 5 piece, but will entertain other offers. Prefer something with hardware too, but again, I can work with what you have. Looking for a 22 or 24" kick, 12", 16" & 18" toms. 14" snare. Prefer DW or Yamaha kits. Message me what you've got!

Thanks!
Evan

Re: Rider Friendly drum kit

Evan,
I'd suggest looking at the DW performance series line. I rent one of these kits A LOT to national acts and they are always happy. They sound and look great and are easier on the wallet than the Collectors series or something like Yamaha Recording Custom, which is the other most commonly requested kit I see.

I almost never see requests for the config you list though. I keep 22" kick, and ALL available tom sizes plus a few snares. The most common requested configs I see are for 10, 12, 14 toms or for 10, 12, 16 toms. I have NEVER had a request for an 18" tom.

Sorry for adding discussion to the marketplace.

Here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DW-Perf.../301193634058?pt=US_Drums&hash=item46208a210a

Pick up a Ludwig Black Beauty and another snare (probably maple) and you'll have no problem keeping bands happy.

Last edited:

A used 12", 16", 18" tom configuration might not be easy to find. There are a fair amount of (especially Ludwig, and especially Vistalite) 14", 16", 18" tom configs out there, since that's the John Bonham setup. And many of these kits do have a 24" kick, not the 26" like Bonham's.

Used DWs in that configuration are out there, but uncommon; Yamahas are rare. Unless you ordered them new. Yamaha Stage Custom kits sound very good for the relatively low cost, but, no, they don't have a high cool factor, if you are trying to meet riders. Old Ludwigs have a very high cool factor, on the other hand.

+1 This is what we did. Although I did splurge on all 9000 hardware and a rack. The 9000 double kick is SWEET... Also added a Ludwig Supraphonic snare.

Evan,
I'd suggest looking at the DW performance series line. I rent one of these kits A LOT to national acts and they are always happy. They sound and look great and are easier on the wallet than the Collectors series or something like Yamaha Recording Custom, which is the other most commonly requested kit I see.

I almost never see requests for the config you list though. I keep 22" kick, and ALL available tom sizes plus a few snares. The most common requested configs I see are for 10, 12, 14 toms or for 10, 12, 16 toms. I have NEVER had a request for an 18" tom.

Sorry for adding discussion to the marketplace.

Here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DW-Perf.../301193634058?pt=US_Drums&hash=item46208a210a

Pick up a Ludwig Black Beauty and another snare (probably maple) and you'll have no problem keeping bands happy.