Sennheiser ew 100 g3 Cuts Audio for Seconds at a Time (bodypack)

Daniel Shue

Jun 17, 2018
United States
The audio will be great, but here and there, the audio will just cut out: no buzzing or static, just silence, and the speaker has to shout. Sometimes the silence will last a half a second, other times 4 or 5 seconds. It happens often and has been happening for a month or two. We've swapped channels, no change. Recently we handed the speaker another seenheiser, but handheld, and the sound was steady, but it still momentarily broke a few minutes in. This is an installed system and the distance from mic to receiver is probably 40 to 60 yards or so. We are in the USA, Arlington TX 76017. I'm not sure what frequency they're tuned to. Thank you so much for any help you can give. I am an amateur by the way and don't know the jargon.

Thank you for replying!! Zip Code:76017 Where would I find the frequency on the device?

There is a sticker on the back of the receiver and inside the battery compartment of the transmitter that will show the tuning capability of the system. The exact frequency you are using should be shown in the display on power-up. If it only displays a "Chan #" you will need to toggle the setting called "Display" to "Freq".

Last edited:
The audio will be great, but here and there, the audio will just cut out: no buzzing or static, just silence, and the speaker has to shout. Sometimes the silence will last a half a second, other times 4 or 5 seconds. It happens often and has been happening for a month or two. We've swapped channels, no change. Recently we handed the speaker another seenheiser, but handheld, and the sound was steady, but it still momentarily broke a few minutes in. This is an installed system and the distance from mic to receiver is probably 40 to 60 yards or so. We are in the USA, Arlington TX 76017. I'm not sure what frequency they're tuned to. Thank you so much for any help you can give. I am an amateur by the way and don't know the jargon.

Another thing to consider is the distance, is a bit far especially if you are using a bodypacks and the person is wearing it with their body in the way of a direct path to the antennas. Are you just using the antennas on the back of the receiver? That is another problem, you want some separation between the antennas. You want there to be 2 different paths to the receiver antennas. If something can get in the way of one of the antennas if you have 2 with some space between them the chances are better that something won’t block both antennas at the same time.

I like to get my receivers down near the stage with the 2 antennas separated by at least 10 feet. Also it is a really good idea to see if there is any interference or intermodulation distortion. With the changes that are happening to the RF world out there this is something you need to check regularly. One way to see if there are problems is to record the reception of the wireless receiver with no transmitters turned on. But you need to give it a lot of time to see if there is anything popping up intermittently. If you record it digitally you can look at the recording on your computer and zoom out and see if there is any audio on the recording relatively quickly. Then listen to those parts and see if you can tell what it is.