short -20db barrel pad

mark anderson

Sophomore
May 4, 2011
I need to get a few -20db pads and everything seems to be about four inches long. I guess I fail to understand why no one makes one that's really short. My objections to the longer ones are that you either have increased stress on the jack or you need to use two cables. It would be nice if there were an 1.5" unit out there. Anybody know of one?

Re: short -20db barrel pad

1.5 inches is not much more than the depth of the female and male jacks, so I don't think you are going to find anything there. I have some from EWI that are a little over 3 inches, probably similar ot what you have seen.

Where are you placing them that you are worried about strain relief? The most common place for me to use them is at the back of the board with the snake and the snake is always secured in place (if it is mine).

yeah, you're not gonna find anything that is a barrel that is much shorter than the standard switchcraft. i concur with silas that if you want a more 'strain-proof' pad, just make one with a jumper that has the resistors in one of the connectors.

i do feel that plugging a barrel directly into any piece of equipment is asking for trouble, at least from a strain relief aspect. i had a bit of a discussion on this forum i believe about my strongly held belief that one piece xlr-1/4" male adaptors should be banned because of the issue of having that huge connector hanging off a piece of gear. this is the same issue. i've always just opted to put a short xlr jumper inline. maybe i'm paranoid, but a little paranoia has served me well over the years...

Does your board not have a pad or is it a 30dB pad and just too much?

Have you tried just using an XLR>TRS pigtail and going into the line input?

Do you have any DI's that will take an XLR in and let you pad it on stage?

Does your board not have a pad or is it a 30dB pad and just too much?

Have you tried just using an XLR>TRS pigtail and going into the line input?

Do you have any DI's that will take an XLR in and let you pad it on stage?

I build a bunch of them. Use a Behringer AD8000 preamp with 01V96 and you will want the pads for the preamps as they have none. I had to make them because I use drums on the Behringer preamps and they were always just too hot so I can totally understand why the OP would want them. I ahve no idea if his reasoning is the same as mine though.

I'm in that same position. I have been using the Whirlwind Pads and they are a little bulky. I have to use them between the Meyer M1A processor and the Crown XTI Amps so the two stage limiting will be accurate. My biggest requirement was that they all tested flat in the Freq and Phase response. I don't mind using two cables for each of the six channels since they are in a rack tucked away and build them all out of CL install wire. What I am looking for is a way to mount the barrels to the inside of the rack wall much in the same way you see tools mounted in those spring loaded clamps.

Any thoughts?