Shot!

Chris Gruber

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Rodgers-town, Wisco
I got some stands for my studio monitors finally. The stands have a center chamber that can be filled with sand or steel/lead shot. Sand is easy, where can I find a decent quantity of lead shot? All I can find is the small packages. Does it really make a difference which of the two I use? Thanks.

Re: Shot!

I don't know if you have a Trap and Skeet range close(r sporting clays) but many of those have reloading supplies, including shot - roughly $20-25 per 25lb bag.

Also, you may find some at Cabellas or Bass Pro Shops in the hunting section.

Finally, a gun shop with a reloading section.

frank

Somebody had asked about sandbags and I never got around to posting but back when I was spending a lot of time on boats, I would make ballast rings by pouring lead shot into tygon tubing and sealing the ends. The extra weight would keep things from sliding around when the boat was under way.

My thought was that the same rings would be handy for helping counterbalance mic stands etc. when using heavy mics.

Go to the local tire stores and see if they'll let you have the wheel weights from their recycling bucket. Melt them in an old iron pan (outdoors) and pour in the lead.

And while it's melted, breathe in the fumes ....
icon_lol.gif

NO...just teasing, don't breathe in the fumes, it causes lead poisoning...strokes, heart attacks, senility, etc...

Hammer

ps... I was going to write that you might be able to dig shot out of some poster's walls...but..
icon_razz.gif

Go to the local tire stores and see if they'll let you have the wheel weights from their recycling bucket. Melt them in an old iron pan (outdoors) and pour in the lead.

My Brother buys 5 gallon buckets of lead weights from all the local tire places. he Smelts them down into ingots and uses them for his reloading setup (He has molds).

I will agree. stay the heck away from the fumes. they are crazy. He does it outside, but we still think he's crazy. But he's my crazy!
icon_lol.gif

So I went to Home Depot and got myself a bag of pea gravel. Anyone got ideas on how I can dry this stuff out, I mean really dry? I though maybe putting the gravel in pans in the oven for a bit, but I don't know if there are any chemicals on the rocks and I do have to cook food in there. Setting them out in the sun is not an option. Thanks.

So I went to Home Depot and got myself a bag of pea gravel. Anyone got ideas on how I can dry this stuff out, I mean really dry? I though maybe putting the gravel in pans in the oven for a bit, but I don't know if there are any chemicals on the rocks and I do have to cook food in there. Setting them out in the sun is not an option. Thanks.

Put them on the gas grill outside...