Shure SE425 or Westone UM Pro 20

You have $300; which universal ear bud would you go with? Shure SE425 or Westone UM Pro 20.

I looking/researching for the band to upgrade from the stock Sennheiser IE4 that I provide and into a better dual driver ear bud. I'm leaning towards the Westone because there is more in the kit, I like the hard case for ear bud storage better.

Since this is something that we can't test/demo. I'd like to hear some comments about these 2 choices OR if you have another universal bud to check out. Discontinued models aren't an option, we are buying 7 pairs.

I've tried getting them into a set of customs, but at $500+ (Once you include the fitting & checkup) its hard for them to commit to. The band recently switched from wedges and into Ears, so we are taking baby steps.

Last edited:
Re: Shure SE425 or Westone UM Pro 20

Aaron, they look good... but I am looking for a dual driver set-up.

Band is on all IEM thus no wedges on stage; band also is all direct; other than drums mics and vocal mics, I don't use any other mics.

for 249 you can buy dual driver customs from AlClair. http://Www.alclair.com. I'm a long term AlClair user and I recommend them highly. even low end customs are better than any universal IMHO. Just avoiding dealing with the foam tips, and them shifting and not stayingin, etc. I've put a lot of people on the dual driver AlClairs who were using Shure universals and all of them have been happy with the results.

If you're interested, feel free to drop my name when you order from Amy and you might just get a discount if you buy several at once. :)

Re: Shure SE425 or Westone UM Pro 20

for 249 you can buy dual driver customs from AlClair. http://Www.alclair.com. I'm a long term AlClair user and I recommend them highly. even low end customs are better than any universal IMHO. Just avoiding dealing with the foam tips, and them shifting and not stayingin, etc. I've put a lot of people on the dual driver AlClairs who were using Shure universals and all of them have been happy with the results.

If you're interested, feel free to drop my name when you order from Amy and you might just get a discount if you buy several at once. :)

Brian, The agency tried getting all the members into the AlClair ears earlier in the year. There was a bulk order placed and many members didn't get in on it.