Sound Craft expression SI stage box question

David Adams

Dec 12, 2018
I do live conference events at hotels (PSAV) and use the Sound Craft Expression SI. I often have a clock timer, where the controller is at the tech table and the large clock display is in front of the stage near the podium. This system works using a long XLR cable from the tech table to the stage area. Question. . . . is there a way to use the Expression stage box for this connection, to avoid having to run the separate XLR cable? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you, Dave

IFF the control signal has the right characteristics, you could simply run it into a spare input on your board, assign that to a spare aux mix or other suitable output, then at the stage end connect that output from the stagebox to the display.

What I mean by "the right characteristics": obviously the sound desk is expecting its inputs to be AC, between 20Hz & roughly 20kHz and up to a certain voltage - so if the control signal is DC, you're out of luck. Likewise if it's higher frequency than 20kHz, or if it's actual data that requires a specific digital signal packaging protocol in order to be understood at the receive end, you're not going to get anywhere with this. Oh, just remembered, some of the Expression series have very basic DMX capabilities, so if your timer display happens to use DMX commands that are available from the desk, you might be in luck.

Really, it all boils down to what the communication/command protocol is between the timer controller and display, and as you're the one with the kit, you'd know more about that than anyone else here I'd guess.