Sound for 300-700 Guests events

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas B.

Nov 9, 2021
Nashville, TN
I'm starting to do more 300+ guest events and my QSC K12 and KW152 are being pushed to limit to provide a good quality sound throughout the room. Any recommendation on more powerful/clear/crisp speaker lines? Im looking into JBL and RCF and there are so many options.

I'm starting to do more 300+ guest events and my QSC K12 and KW152 are being pushed to limit to provide a good quality sound throughout the room. Any recommendation on more powerful/clear/crisp speaker lines? Im looking into JBL and RCF and there are so many options.
Are you to the point where a delay line in the room or outside would be better? Are the guest complaining or is this something you want for yourself? How are you setting this system up? The QSC are both different somewhat and may not array well together. How are you splaying the cabinets out? Are you using subs with crowds of this size? All the other normal questions. Recorded music or bands? Type of music? I realize there is a lot of questions but these are needed to give any kind of answer. Budget?

Douglas R. Allen

Are you to the point where a delay line in the room or outside would be better? Are the guest complaining or is this something you want for yourself? How are you setting this system up? The QSC are both different somewhat and may not array well together. How are you splaying the cabinets out? Are you using subs with crowds of this size? All the other normal questions. Recorded music or bands? Type of music? I realize there is a lot of questions but these are needed to give any kind of answer. Budget?

Douglas R. Allen
Right now, Im using KS118 subs with the KW152 then lined out from 152 to K12s. Music is recorded (DJ style). I play from top 40s, arabic, latin music. Honestly right now I'm looking at JBL SRX835 or RCF NX45 so my range for each speaker is $1600 or so. My goal is not to be pushing limits, I want to be running sound with head room available.

Couple thoughts..........
What kind of events are you doing DJ music for weddings ect where some people
do not want to be sitting in full party volume music all nigh or are your events full on dance partys, Rave, EDM
where everyone there is there to party?

If there are your wedding or corporate type events have a party zone set up for the dance floor
and then as suggested set up some smaller delay fill speakers help cover deeper into the room.
In the fill speaker zone have the music level much lower but have your announce mic and any mics
used for the toasting, presentation ect. turned up higher in the fills.

That way the announcements can heard when needed but the party volume stays on the dance floor,

First thing is to get the speakers up higher, and aimed down at the heads of listeners 3/4 of the way back, give or take. The levels at the rear won't change, but you won't blast the near listeners in the process.

Past that - you're going to want to raise your budget a bit, especially with all the price increases happening. The RCF TT25A or used TT5A, Martin CDD Live 15, etc are what I'd look at first. There are better options, but you're starting to push the limits of what a speaker on a stick can do, and prices tend to go up fast to extract that last bit of clear SPL. TW Audio T24N would be a great option for loud yet pole mountable.

What you don't want to do is waste your stated budget on something that doesn't have enough of a benefit that you'll end up selling them at a loss and then buying what you really need. Often, raising the budget a bit now is cheaper in the long run because it allows you to bypass that 'sell at a loss' step - plus you can buy at 2021 pricing rather than higher 2022 or 2023 pricing.

Are you into DIY? The PM60 is worth a close look.

I used work large weddings with a band... I was running Fulcrum FA22ac over JBL SRX718 (1-2 per side).
The wedding sound game is a lot different than the bar band philosophy. The game you're playing is keeping it loud on the dance floor, but allowing the seated guest to talk while the band it performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.