Soundcraft Expression 3 question

Michael Glenn

Freshman
Aug 10, 2011
On the Yamaha LS9-32 one can assign physical XLR input #1 to channel 1 and 33, physical XLR input #2 assigned to channel 2 and 34, etc, etc.. making 1-32 dedicated to foh and 33-64 dedicated to mon.

Is this possible on the Soundcraft Expression 3?

Mike

Re: Soundcraft Expression 3 question

Thanks Gil. What's the method to do this? I was playing around with the Soundcraft and couldn't see where to set this up. I see where one assigns the physical XLR to a channel but not how to assign an XLR to multiple channels. From what I remember it only gave me one option, an XLR input assignable to only one channel.

Select input, bring up "Inputs" from the screen, scroll down and select the source.

Gil, there are four banks of 30 handles. Two for foh, two for mons. Split your inputs up, use the other handles to make duplicate master sections pertinent to foh or mons: Put groups and your returns on the foh layers, and your mon send masters on your mon layers.

I understand the layers. My point is that I don't get why Soundcraft has a 32 input console with only 30 faders. I love the desk. That's my only beef with it. I don't do very many shows that require 32 inputs so it's not a huge deal for me.

I understand the layers. My point is that I don't get why Soundcraft has a 32 input console with only 30 faders. I love the desk. That's my only beef with it. I don't do very many shows that require 32 inputs so it's not a huge deal for me.

Matt was replying to Michael, not you. Why Soundcraft decided to give you 30 faders is a question only they can answer, and so far they've never said. If it's a deal breaker buy a different console, other wise chalk it up to being a Mystery of the Faith.

Matt was replying to Michael, not you. Why Soundcraft decided to give you 30 faders is a question only they can answer, and so far they've never said. If it's a deal breaker buy a different console, other wise chalk it up to being a Mystery of the Faith.

I assume Soundcraft did it because it is in their genetic composition that every console they design must have at least one stupid/bizarre/unusable/or totally unnecessary function or feature. If you are a Soundcraft fan (as I am for the most part ) it is a sin that you just learn to accept.

I assume Soundcraft did it because it is in their genetic composition that every console they design must have at least one stupid/bizarre/unusable/or totally unnecessary function or feature. If you are a Soundcraft fan (as I am for the most part ) it is a sin that you just learn to accept.

They have a really cool feature... the Mini Stagebox channels are not correctly listed on the console display. I reported this months ago and they indicated that it would be fixed. However, the fix was not implemented in their latest firmware release. While SC hardware is great, in my opinion they should hire some professional (competent) software engineers. I have been patiently awaiting their VISI Live application for more than 18 months... if (when) it comes out it will be interesting how well it matches up against the completion. For example, Behringer has apps for the iPad, IPhone, Android, and PC which work pretty well when using the X32.

Last edited: