Soundcraft SI Impact House and Monitors (Mix) Question

Gregg Bolinger

Aug 30, 2020
Wichita, KS
Our church recently acquired a Soundcraft SI Impact from another church that was upgrading. Our previous board was analog so we're all new at this digital revolution. Without any mix selected, we adjust our House levels. Then, if selecting Mix 1 we adjust our Monitor levels (we only have 2 monitor speakers, no in ear stuff). When Mix 1 is selected, I can. hear both House and Monitors. But if I deselect Mix 1, the monitors go away. This seems odd because of I needed to adjust the house during a live service, I'd not want the Monitors to go away. But if Mix 1 is selected, I can't adjust the house.

I've read through the convoluted manual several times and I just can't figure this part out. If anyone has any suggestions or knows what to do, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks Riley. There are 14 Mix buttons on the board. I'm pressing the Mix 1 button, which turns it's LED on. At this time, all the faders LED's are yellow including the right most "Mono" fader which is the Mix fader when a Mix button is turned on turned on/selected. The layer doesn't change. It is still on A. So I'll break it down to a single channel.

Microphone on Channel 1
On button is Green/lit up
Select button Orange/lit up (can adjust settings)
Mix 1 off (no lights on button).
I hear sound in the house when I talk into the mic.
No sound coming from monitors

Microphone on Channel 1
On button is Green/lit up
Select button Orange/lit up (can adjust settings)
Mix 1 on (light on button).
All faders LED's yellow
I hear sound in the house when I talk into the mic.
I hear sound in the monitors when I talk into the mic

My assumption is that even if Mix 1 is off (button pressed so as no light behind button), I should still hear the monitor mix coming through, but I do not. This is the only way to adjust the house, but during a live session, adjusting the house and losing the monitors can't happen. I need both. I thought that a signal would flow to each Mix regardless of whether or not I was adjusting said Mix. This doesn't seem to be the case.

What are you listening to house and monitors with? When you say your losing the monitors does that mean the monitors shut off on stage or you can no longer hear them in a Q wedge or headphones? Sounds like your using a control room out somewhere. With a Q Wedge at FOH to hear the monitor mix or listening with headphones you would not what to hear the monitors and mains at the same time in them. If the monitors shut off on stage when you select the mains then something is wired wrong as far as outputs / patching.

When your adjusting the Mains no fader glow should be happening on your channels if I remember right. How is the board setup? Faders to a Bus pair that sends to L/R out? Sounds like the last owners had it setup in a way that made sense to them but it may not be right for you.

How are your mixer outputs connected to the main and monitor systems? Output one appears to default to the mix one and outputs 15 & 16 default to the stereo out. The only signal on a mixer that should change with select or cue buttons is the cue / monitor system. "Monitor" on a mix console like this does not mean stage monitor, it means monitor speakers for a control room like a studio. If you have somehow set the mixer to use the "monitor out" that will not be correct for stage monitors. You will need to set it back to using Mix 1.

Our church recently acquired a Soundcraft SI Impact from another church that was upgrading. Our previous board was analog so we're all new at this digital revolution. Without any mix selected, we adjust our House levels. Then, if selecting Mix 1 we adjust our Monitor levels (we only have 2 monitor speakers, no in ear stuff). When Mix 1 is selected, I can. hear both House and Monitors. But if I deselect Mix 1, the monitors go away. This seems odd because of I needed to adjust the house during a live service, I'd not want the Monitors to go away. But if Mix 1 is selected, I can't adjust the house.

I've read through the convoluted manual several times and I just can't figure this part out. If anyone has any suggestions or knows what to do, I'd really appreciate it.

You need to make sure that the mix that you have selected is not assigned to your main outs with the LR or MONO buttons in the master section......I’ve seen this happen before with a church client of mine.