Soundcraft Ui12 - Is it rack mountable?

Jan 14, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Really simple question that I can't find an answer for - is the device rack-mountable? Thinking to use this device as part of a mobile events system and take advantage of the browser-based control to access it from offsite.

The UI 12 is not rack mountable, it's more or less a UI 16 cut in half. Having said that I have rack mounted a UI 12 at an install by drilling two holes in the side handle to mount it in a rack. To help secure it in the middle I used some stick on velcro with one half on the mixer and the other half on the pieces above and below the mixer.

The SoundCraft Ui design (actually SM Audio from Australia) is by far one of the very best mixers for schools and churches. Easy to understand and cost effective. However ….. it has a major design flaw. They should have made a model for installs with all the jaks on the back, but still have a pilot light and USB ports on the front. In lieu of that, I just make a mounting jig that spaces the faceplate back so standard XLR plugs can be used, and it is held in place good enough, and you can still use the USB holes, and headphone jak if needed. {the holes are already in the mounting ear, just drill through the rubber trim.} I use the white PVC trim board that is common at home improvement stores, and strips of 1/4”-1/2" plywood across the back. This works very well and holds it in place just fine. These mixers are infinitely better for schools than the horrible processor things I have seen lately, that cost thousands of dollars, and are impossible to figure out !
[I know I’m late to the party, so no comments about that. I just want to help anyone else with the same problem.]

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpeg
    IMG_2827.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Just mounted another one this way. Took some photos for you.
They stupidly did not make holes through the rubber cover on the rack ear / handle, but the holes are through the metal inside the rubber just like the Ui16. Very easy to drill through the rubber.
The 3-1/2” screws are counterbored into the back spacer, and go through the holes into the front spacer.
1-1/4” wide strips across the back support the left side spacer. This one I made 5-1/2” deep since that’s the size of the white PVC board. The right side is 2-1/2” front and 2-11/16” back. (the rack ear is 5/16” thick)
I hope this helps somebody solve the same problem.

Attachments

• IMG_3749.jpeg
    IMG_3749.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3748.jpeg
    IMG_3748.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3747.jpeg
    IMG_3747.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg