Speaker Stands (sticks)

Adam Robinson

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago IL
Looking to replace an inventory of really crappy stands and I wanted to see what the favorites were. They need to be able to support 2 powered VRX (about 100 lbs) or 1 HiQ (about 70 lbs).

Re: Speaker Stands (sticks)

I bought some Ultimate stands last fall for lighting and was delighted to discover the little slide out insert that lets me put speakers up on em too.
They are the TS99BL which has a leveling leg and it goes up to 9' and only weigh 10 lbs. I got the 2' extenders for them and side arms too.

I like em so much I plan to buy some more.

For my critical stand needs, I'm using the K&M 214/6 stand. Expensive, but it's all steel and I'd trust my life to it. It handles 90 pound Fulcrums with the K&M tilters leaning the speaker to one side without even a hint of trouble. Only issue I've had is the knob on the adjuster pin sometimes pops off and needs to be replaced.

For basic needs and rentals, the cheap On Stage $30 stands are perfectly fine.

For my critical stand needs, I'm using the K&M 214/6 stand. Expensive, but it's all steel and I'd trust my life to it. It handles 90 pound Fulcrums with the K&M tilters leaning the speaker to one side without even a hint of trouble. Only issue I've had is the knob on the adjuster pin sometimes pops off and needs to be replaced.

For basic needs and rentals, the cheap On Stage $30 stands are perfectly fine.
not bad silas, the better ones are these SPEAKER STAND-21300-009-55 8)~:cool:~:cool: have them since decades...

I'm going to go the other way and say -1 for TS-99s. I have 4 of them and they're perfectly fine for a ~60lb Mackie. They are VERY marginal at 100lbs, IMO. I use them for my JFLs (100lbs) ONLY indoors, ONLY when I'm sure no one will bump them, and NEVER at max height. The leg span just isn't that huge, and the wobbly mast doesn't give me a lot of comfort.

I use Global Truss ST-132s and the difference in stability is not small.

Not to hijack this thread, but I've really wanted a solid pair of speaker poles for a while. Ultimate Support has had their "locking" poles listed on their site as "coming soon" forever. SP-80/90/100.

K&M has a similar product, but it doesn't extend as far as I'd like compared to the poles I have now. The difference is about only 8-10" but that can make all the difference depending on the room (and height of the guests). What I don't get is that K&M makes poles that are longer, but not ones that have the locking mechanism.

Not to hijack this thread, but I've really wanted a solid pair of speaker poles for a while. Ultimate Support has had their "locking" poles listed on their site as "coming soon" forever. SP-80/90/100.

K&M has a similar product, but it doesn't extend as far as I'd like compared to the poles I have now. The difference is about only 8-10" but that can make all the difference depending on the room (and height of the guests). What I don't get is that K&M makes poles that are longer, but not ones that have the locking mechanism.

Get a pair of the K&M Tilters. They allow you to tilt your speaker to the appropriate angle, and give you an extra 8" of height at the same time!

I haven't found a good case for my ST-132s, and am not sure if I would want one, due to weight.

Global has a bag for the ST-132s. I find them easier to manage with it, less chance of getting pinched handling them.

I've used the TS99Bs & BLs with 80 lb cabs. The center pole will flex if you shake it, but stays stable. I usually put 3 saddle type sandbags on the leg struts.