Speccing PA for orchestral/big band/choir performance

Lisa Lane-Collins

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I've been booked to provide PA and sound for a concert in a big town hall. Have some idea, wondering some things though.

Leaning towards hiring in an M32, not sure which way to head with speakers.

I have access to RCF line array.....potentially could be flown (there is motorised truss in there, I assume there will be an associated cost with using it. If it's going to significantly improve the sound we might have budget for that). I know the RCFs sound a bit sharp, I've mixed on them a lot lately, but in terms of coverage, if they're the better choice for the space then I'm willing to work with that.

Or, have access to a nice RCF stack, not sure of the specs but it's good for outdoor concerts so I think it could handle inside a town hall fine.

I could probably get away with powered speakers on sticks but it's a big space and I see the potential for quality/transparent sound reinforcement and I'd really like to sieze that.

The program material includes orchestra, big band, small band ensembles, choir and various combinations of these (the largest being orchestra and choir).

My other dilemma is, generally, better to section mic with condensors or 57s? I've worked with big band before, that's all section micing with 58s/57s but it's a much smaller space. I'm leaning towards, nice condensors, nice PA, not very much volume, but all of the advice is welcome.

Re: Speccing PA for orchestral/big band/choir performance

I've been booked to provide PA and sound for a concert in a big town hall. Have some idea, wondering some things though.

Leaning towards hiring in an M32, not sure which way to head with speakers.

I have access to RCF line array.....potentially could be flown (there is motorised truss in there, I assume there will be an associated cost with using it. If it's going to significantly improve the sound we might have budget for that). I know the RCFs sound a bit sharp, I've mixed on them a lot lately, but in terms of coverage, if they're the better choice for the space then I'm willing to work with that.

Or, have access to a nice RCF stack, not sure of the specs but it's good for outdoor concerts so I think it could handle inside a town hall fine.

I could probably get away with powered speakers on sticks but it's a big space and I see the potential for quality/transparent sound reinforcement and I'd really like to sieze that.

The program material includes orchestra, big band, small band ensembles, choir and various combinations of these (the largest being orchestra and choir).

My other dilemma is, generally, better to section mic with condensors or 57s? I've worked with big band before, that's all section micing with 58s/57s but it's a much smaller space. I'm leaning towards, nice condensors, nice PA, not very much volume, but all of the advice is welcome.

SM81s on the choir. NT1s or something similar easily available in numbers for the majority of the band sectionals - especially LDCs for the brass. The SM57 and SM58 are much better suited to close miking sources, not all that great for blending things further than a couple of feet away. Don't over do it, but stay close enough to keep gain before feedback.

As for a console, this is one time I'd say you can get away with a solid analogue console, if it's cheaper/in stock/easier. You don't need any effects, and you can rely on the microphones for getting the right sound that you need. Just EQ to taste and let the trained musicians work their magic.

As for speakers, it's all about what will give you the best control to get the gain before feedback and right amount of reflections in the space for the music to sound natural. A flown array will sound better almost guaranteed - but only if it's flown well.

Best of luck, and have a blast!