SSSS in vocal mic

Re: SSSS in vocal mic

Change your compression settings a little bit. You may have too high of a ratio or too low of a threshold. Too much compression is notorious for making for unwanted sibilance.

If you are not using compression and you still have too much sibilance then you might actually have to try several different mics until you find one that work with the particular vocalist.

what mic is he using? I 've found my EV mics to help somewhat.

but....be checkin' the compression as mentioned above

I've tried the EV ND967 and PL80a, but the S's are still pretty hot. I'll try playing with compression, and someone suggested an e945 mic.

The best problem solving is systematic. I would start by pfl and then afl the channel with no compression to forst see if the problem is in the source or the processing.

I'll be using my BSS 901 on him this Saturday, but was hoping to recommend a mic that he should use all the time for when other soundguys don't have a de-esser. Right now he uses a Beta87, and I KNOW that is not the right mic for him.....

I'll be using my BSS 901 on him this Saturday, but was hoping to recommend a mic that he should use all the time for when other soundguys don't have a de-esser. Right now he uses a Beta87, and I KNOW that is not the right mic for him.....

Do you have a 421?

Given what I own, I would probably pull out a PL80a, but a lot depends on both the singer and the stage setup. My first choice would be changing mic choice, but if I don't have a desser (many multi effect units have one built in), I would probably insert a graphic or a full parametric eq on the channel so I can be more selective about frequenciy than most channel strips allow.