Stage Camera for TV Monitors

John Chiara

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Troy, NY
New club install. 24' wide stage. Need a camera setup to project/feed TV monitors in other rooms of the building. Recommendations? Budgets? Wireless?
Thanks!

Re: Stage Camera for TV Monitors

GoPro?

I should clarify - a lot is also going to depend on how far the camera is from the stage, what kind of shot you are looking for, and the lighting conditions. Do you need remote PTZ? Is it a fixed shot? Are people actually going to be actively *watching* this feed, or is it more a "Hey, cool, that's what's happening in the other room" type of feed?

A GoPro can be an inexpensive, easy camera to use for this application, but may not be the right tool for the job.

Last edited:

GoPro?

I should clarify - a lot is also going to depend on how far the camera is from the stage, what kind of shot you are looking for, and the lighting conditions. Do you need remote PTZ? Is it a fixed shot? Are people actually going to be actively *watching* this feed, or is it more a "Hey, cool, that's what's happening in the other room" type of feed?

A GoPro can be an inexpensive, easy camera to use for this application, but may not be the right tool for the job.
Fixed shot for bar and dining room patrons to check out. I was told GoPro don't have an output. I can mount it in a lighting bar in front of the stage.

It shouldn't be too hard to get a broadcast camera with an unencrypted HDMI output and a lens that fits your needs. Maybe this: http://www.lcdracks.com/servers-cameras/HD-SDI-cameras/CV360-CGB.php Run that into a ZeeVee ZvPro 810 QAM modulator http://zeevee.com/products/zvpro/zvpro820-810 and out to your cable system. You may need to block a channel on your cable system to make room for the new channel. This is all assuming all your TVs are HD and can display QAM channels and there enough of them to make HDMI distribution impractical. Down and dirty would be an old SD camera with base band video output into a standard ATSC modulator and out to cable. I've still got this system working in a fairly large concert venue in my area. Most newer TVs can still display it along with HD/Digital. Again, you may need to make room for the channel on the cable system. In either case make sure you know and your client understands what your blocking before implementing any changes. Wish Brad Weber were still around. This would be right up his alley!

Added: Be sure to keep the distance limitations of HDMI cables between the camera and the modulator if going the first route. There are active cables available that will extend that limitation.

Last edited:

Fixed shot for bar and dining room patrons to check out. I was told GoPro don't have an output. I can mount it in a lighting bar in front of the stage.

GoPro does have outputs. Even the major networks use them for quick cut and title shots now and then, and put them in places where it would otherwise be difficult to get a camera.

http://shop.gopro.com/compare?category=cameras

Since the camera outputs on HDMI, you may need something like an Aja HA5 or Blackmagic Design mini converter to get it onto HD-SDI for transport around the venue. But if you need a camera that does a wide stage shot, especially on a short throw, a GoPro is hard to beat.

I was told GoPro don't have an output. I can mount it in a lighting bar in front of the stage.

I think every tour I've seen come through our town in the last year has had at least one case labled "GoPro"! It surprised me the first time I saw it, but they are everywhere now. As a plus, it should be fairly impervious to fog machine gack from the ubiquitous silver truss-mounted Antari. 8)~:cool:~:cool:

If you go the go pro route make sure you get one of the newer models the first series including the 3 were not good at all in low lighting. There will be some additional accessories you will need including a skeleton case and an ac power source. That being said I have seen some pretty good up close stage shots with one of the hero 4s.

There is a running topic about stage shot cameras in the Google Group dedicated to theatre sound. There has been extensive discussion of cameras suitable for "conductor shots" too.