Sticking NL4s

Re: Sticking NL4s

I have some older NL4 connectors that are getting hard to unlatch. Is it OK to put WD 40 on them? What else would be better?

Probably should just replace the connector if possible. Any liquid lubricant is probably just going to attract dirt and gunk things up worse. That said, you might try a bit of CAIG fader lubricant. Would probably be the closest product designed for your application.

I might try cleaning the latch mechanism. Zinc on nylon (the latch is zinc, the shell is glass-filled nylon) generally is self-lubricating, so if it's sticking, something is in the way. Alternatively, it's sticking because the tolerances have slipped too much from wear. In that case, replacement is your only good option.

Not too sure about wd-40 and plastics... go with a silicon based lube spray like 3M, liquid wrench or similar. The dry versions might be preferable.

Yours might have sand or something in them. You can try blowing it out with pressurized air, but you probably will end up replacing them anyway.

The newer hi current type with the oval shaped thumb thingys tend to stick more than to old type with the rectangle thumb thingy. Mine seem to get stuck more when hammered by lots of watts all day. They can be a real pain trying to get them lose from the little amp rack that has limited space to get your hand in there.

I've put WD40 on them, fixed the issue, and never thought twice about it. And AFAIK didn't harm it at all.

I can't imagine the WD40 is worse than whatever is causing one to stick.