StudioLive 16 Case

Wali Raffiqi

Freshman
Jan 19, 2011
South Riding, Va
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a SL16, but am having a hard time finding a rack mount case for it. I was told that it takes a 14U rack, but of course nobody sells a 14U. Is it possible to fit it in a 12U if I'm not leaving the snake plugged in come wrap up time? In other words, could I fit the board in the case if I don't have anything plugged in, and still be able to close all the lids?

Or if anyone has a SL16 in a rack mount, could you please share what you are using?

Thanks,

Wali

Re: StudioLive 16 Case

When it comes to over-sized cases/racks it's good to remember that the weight will also increase with the additional material. Even though you'll have wheels on the rack it's still better to keep the weight down as much as possible. With an extra deep rack you'll be adding weight to the box and adding what is likely a lot of unused space under the mixer. It is possible to get both a rack and a mixer case that will nest together when you're ready to set up. I actually have a reinforced soft carry bag for my StudioLive and carry a small rack with a couple of Sabine GraphiQ's to do DSP and monitor EQ's. So you might want to consider a workbox/outboard rack and rig something to hold your mixer case steady on top. Probably a little work on your part or a custom job.......

Have fun.

Doesn't seem like that much of weight. With only 90lbs empty, and say another 10lbs (give or take), 100lbs is nothing on wheels. That's about one speaker, which I don't have wheels for. Weight won't be the issue, it's keeping everything in one place that I'd like to have. But I am also toying with the idea of buying a 10U or 12U effects rack and just put the board on top of it. I think that route will cost more though.

I did some outside research and found this:

http://oldforums.presonus.com/showpost.php?p=75121&postcount=390

He's only using a 10U (17.5"), and can still fit the SL16 with no issue. I guess a 12U(21") won't be a problem at all. Good to know! It's an option.

Doesn't seem like that much of weight. With only 90lbs empty, and say another 10lbs (give or take), 100lbs is nothing on wheels. That's about one speaker, which I don't have wheels for. Weight won't be the issue, it's keeping everything in one place that I'd like to have. But I am also toying with the idea of buying a 10U or 12U effects rack and just put the board on top of it. I think that route will cost more though.

I did some outside research and found this:

http://oldforums.presonus.com/showpost.php?p=75121&postcount=390

He's only using a 10U (17.5"), and can still fit the SL16 with no issue. I guess a 12U(21") won't be a problem at all. Good to know! It's an option.
That looks pretty fair. I have a rack I use for live broadcast and mixing sound for video shoots. As long as I'm going to have a rack I prefer a higher quality analog board and outboard. The advantage of the inexpensive Presonus is to not have to take the rack.
There are many times when that's all I need to take and the fact that my set-up is "modular" gives me a flexibility that I really like. Small, quick job.......SLive solo. Regular sound gig.......SLive with a 2-space rack and a laptop.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Correct, but the over all depth of the rack is 30" (with the lids), a 12U measures 21" but that is just the rails. I feel like if it is aligned correctly, between the extra lid room front and back, the SL should fit just fine. Unless he meant to post a link for the 12U rack that he is using (in the link I posted), if he can fit it in a 10U, it should have no issue in a 12U.

I understand where you are coming from though, but these units of mine will never be separated or mix and matched with other units for other gigs. I only have this one rig that will always be used. The fact that it will be a tall rack with wheels, it will help me more with the load/unload, for I already stack my smaller cases on top of the amp case and wheel them around.

My buddy Joey D is gonna put his in some kind of GigRack SKB type and he sold me his SKB with the pull out handle and wheels. He had already fitted it with some foam so it was a no brainer for me. Yes it's a little big but it's easy to deal with and weighs nothing. Gator probably makes one like it for a little less $.

Just wanted to update this for anyone else wondering about a rack case for an SL16.

I ended up getting a rack case from EWI. Biggest they had was a 12 space. All I had to do was move the top brace to the very top mounting holes, and the board fit like a glove. If I hadn't purchased the table style lids, I wouldn't have even had to do that. Pretty happy overall with this case.

Couple of pictures:

photo-91.jpg

There's probably about a quarter of an inch of space.
photo-89.jpg

I kept the brace because it works pretty much as a handle to grab and pull the mixer up.
photo-90.jpg

photo-92.jpg

I think I've got the perfect solution, but it requires a little bit of custom work. (so not totally perfect) I've been around and around this issue and I am finally happy with what I've got. And best of all, it didn't cost me $600! Since I at the moment have nothing better to do with my time, I'm going to give step by step instructions to get a beautiful Studiolive case as well as photos of my finished product.

I bought an OSP MC12U-8 mixer/rack case. (there is also a 4 space available) These go for $320 on ebay but I found a company that sells them for $269 with free shipping through ubid.com. I was hesitant to sign up for a bidding website that I was unfamiliar with but I was able to pay with Paypal and when a big box showed up at my door a few days later, it put all my fears to rest. The direct email for the company I got it from is [email protected]. No, I'm not affiliated with either of these companies.

This case is a perfect fit for the dimensions of the console but the top rails are not steep enough, so much like the other failed cases the faders will tilt backwards. It also does not include a wheel board. To correct these flaws was relatively easy. I built a wheel board and new risers for the console to sit on. I have little to no woodworking experience, and I got it done in a weekend. Another plus to this case is that it has rear rack rails as well! This was important for me because I plan on enclosing the back completely and installing a fan panel.

Tools you will need: Circular saw, drill / bits, phillips screwdriver, crescent wrench, ruler.
Materials needed: 24x24 sheet of 5/16" plywood (use a hardwood. birch, maple, oak, etc.), sand paper, black spray paint.

1. Remove the existing risers from the top by removing the 2 phillips screws on each side. There are also a couple staples holding the pieces on. Just work it back and forth until it comes loose. Then remove the rack rails from the two pieces. (make sure you save all the screws, washers and bolts. You will reuse them)

2. Measure and draw the new riser (I've attached a photo below with my measurements) onto the plywood. Cut it out with the circular saw. Go slow for a clean cut! After you cut the first piece, you can use it to trace the second piece. Cut the second piece.

3. Sand the edges of both pieces. If you're particular like me, you will want to make the outer edges nice and round for a finished look. Don't sand the bottom or front and rear edges, they will be lining up with the wood structure of the case.

4. Lay both pieces flat and paint with black spray paint. I found that two heavy coats were enough without using any primer. Make sure you paint them flat on the ground so the paint doesn't run. Do one side at a time letting them dry about an hour between coats or before flipping over.

5. Place both pieces into the empty slots in the case and line them up with the front and back. Find a drill bit that snugly fits the existing holes in the case and drill through them and into the new pieces you made one at a time. I attached a screw through the first hole in each piece so that they wouldn't move while drilling the second hole.

6. After attaching the new pieces, line up the rack rails so that they rise just above the top edge and so that they meet the top corner of the front rails. Mark the holes and drill them. Then install the rails using the original screws and bolts.
Done!

If you follow these instructions and measurements, you will have 9 useable spaces in the front with a 1/2 space under the console. I ordered a 1/2 space blank panel to close that up.

Here are the pics of the finished product and the measurements. If you want a wheel board, I'll put a brief description below the photos.

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

This one shows the old riser compared to the new ones.
IMG_1166.jpg

Notice there is plenty of room in the back for cable connections.
IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

SL1642mod.jpg

For the wheel board, you will need a circular saw, hammer, drill, ruler, clamps or liquid nails adhesive.
Materials: A sheet of hardwood 1/2" or thicker plywood large enough to make a 29"x21" board, sandpaper, black spray paint, 16 pronged Tee Nuts, 8 hex cap bolts long enough to go through the plywood AND the case bottom, 8 hex cap bolts long enough to go through the plywood only, four 3 1/2" rubberized caster wheels. I got mine from a caster company with two brakes for about $35. You can get them from any case company or special order from fastenal, or
do-it-yourselfroadcases.com.

1. Measure and cut the wheel board. The dimensions should be 29"x21". The grain should run the 29" length. Cut about 2" off of each corner so the ball ends of the lids don't touch the wheel board.

2. Sand the edges and paint with black spray paint. Again, two heavy coats. Paint with board lying flat to avoid runs.

3. Position case on the board and line it up so there is equal distance all around. Either clamp it on both sides so it doesn't move, or you can use liquid nails to glue the board to the bottom of the case if you never plan to remove it.

4. Lay one of the casters upside down on a piece of paper and trace the mounting plate as well as the holes. This will give you a template to work with when marking your holes on the case and board. After marking the holes, drill them out with a bit slightly larger than the diameter of the Tee Nuts. Each caster has 4 mounting holes. For every caster, the two holes on the side facing the case should be drilled through the case AND wheel board. The other two holes in the caster mounting plate that are closest to you should only go through the wheel board.

5. Hammer the Tee Nuts into the holes on the top side of the case. Then turn the case upside down and place the casters on. Attach them to the board by screwing the hex cap bolts into the Tee Nuts.

That's it! You now have a professional looking wheel board.

I hope this will be helpful to everyone. Just one musician with possible OCD trying to help another! 8)

-Matt

Mine lives in a Marathon Pro road case. It's a tight fit, and the mixer hangs out the front into the lid, but that's not an issue. The back clearance is tight, and with cables connected, you can't close the lid, unless you use right angle plugs. Also, some of the connectors on the bottom MUST use right angle plugs with this case, and they have to be connected before mounting. It's only 11 spaces on top. If it were 12 spaces and there was more room in the back with a removable cover, it would be perfect.

http://www.marathonpro.com/mama11uslmir.html