Sunlight Reflective Console Covers

Jason Misterka

Sophomore
Mar 10, 2011
Who makes those sunlight reflective console blankets/covers? I can not remember the brand...

Does anyone know if they give any water protection?

Ideally I'm looking for a first line of defence for me to step away from the console for a break without it over heating and without it getting wet in a light sprinkle. I know it wouldn't be "waterproof" but hoping to buy time to get back to FOH and put the tarps on.

I would love for it to be installed in the roadcase with Velcro or something for easy on and off.

Our SC48 has had an issue several times in the last two years that I am finally pinning down to direct solar exposure and not actually internal temperature.

I spoke with Undercover for a custom option last year but their options at the time were either reflective OR water resistant, not both.

It would be worth an extra $1000 to me if one of these smart engineers at Yamaha/Midas/Avid would truly come out with either a weatherproof fully functional console or an OtterBox type add-on skin. After all, we use them at outdoor concerts and festivals for more than half of our events. I would love for that hassle to go away as it has mostly with the Undercover rainbags for our speakers. One less thing for me to have to worry about and manage while working would be a huge improvement :)

Jason

Last edited:
Re: Sunlight Reflective Console Covers

My favorite console covers are some gold metallic Christmas tablecloths I bought at Target over a decade ago. These were like your typical picnic tablecloth with soft backing. The gold foil-type surface did a great job of reflecting heat, and rain could get through them (until I'd used them enough to form small tears from folding.) They look something like this: metallic GOLD plastic tablecloths, tablecovers, 54 inch x 108 inch, 82 inch, 84 inch

Be careful with rain-proof covers, however. Consoles generate heat, and you can trap too much heat rather quickly if you're not careful.

A proper FOH canopy is the most foolproof way to solve your problem.

Re: Sunlight Reflective Console Covers

Google "space blanket" or click this:

ClearDome SolaReflex AA Flat, bendable sunlight Reflector Panels

Alternatively, you can fabricate a console hood from cardboard, tagboard or the like and cover it with aluminum foil.

I've been thinking of a hood like a convertible car soft top or baby pram hood. Something that can both keep the sun out when working and protect the whole mixer when I'm away from it.

An emergency blanket is of course a very cheap and functional solution, they are waterproof, strong, reflective, simply wonderful for a lot of applications.

Be careful with rain-proof covers, however. Consoles generate heat, and you can trap too much heat rather quickly if you're not careful.

Exactly, that's why I was hoping there was a semi breathable but semi water resistant solution a la the Undercover blow through rain bags they make for speakers.

A proper FOH canopy is the most foolproof way to solve your problem.

Of course, we always have a tent but in the situations where we have had issues either 1) the tent was removed by promoter after doors but before the show due to sight obstruction for paid tickets in the grandstands, or 2) the angle of the sun rise/set was such that the side or part of the face of the console received direct sunlight for a time.

Jason

I've been thinking of a hood like a convertible car soft top or baby pram hood. Something that can both keep the sun out when working and protect the whole mixer when I'm away from it.

Yeah, this would be cool but for our big desks would be cumbersome for transport... And it would have to look professional...

An emergency blanket is of course a very cheap and functional solution, they are waterproof, strong, reflective, simply wonderful for a lot of applications.

I will check out the emergency blanket idea, that seems like an inexpensive way to go. But I know I have seen some specialized items customized to fit the Avid desks that are commercially available.

Jason