Switchcraft SC900

Bennett Prescott

Just This Guy, You Know?
Staff member
Jan 10, 2011
Wallingford, CT
www.bennettprescott.com
Re: Switchcraft SC900

What a strange concept, switching a ground lift via phantom power that, in turn, needs a ground.

I would rather have it switch the pad, like the XTA DS800 splitter. I can sort out the ground noise before the show starts, when the keyboard play realizes he isn't up full the pad would be a useful remote function.

Mac

What a strange concept, switching a ground lift via phantom power that, in turn, needs a ground.

I would rather have it switch the pad, like the XTA DS800 splitter. I can sort out the ground noise before the show starts, when the keyboard play realizes he isn't up full the pad would be a useful remote function.

Mac

i gotta say, for festival situations, the remote ground lift [really a pin 1 lift ya'll] is brilliant.

it's funny, i hear/see a lot of comments on here about overdriven DI's but i cannot recall a single instance where i had that problem. and yes, i was usually using active di's. however, i can recall countless times of trying to raise monitor world on the comms [ usually unsuccessfully] to send the deck guy out to flip the pin 1 lift...

brian

I like this idea, but if you unplug the DI (e.g. to repatch between bands) does that mean that the ground lift resets and the buzz comes back?

Why should it? When the DI is unplugged, the lift is indeed reset (and not needed, as there is no loop, only an open input and the channel should be muted anyway), when it is plugged back in, the lift should be there when it was before. Like a recall.

Why should it? When the DI is unplugged, the lift is indeed reset (and not needed, as there is no loop, only an open input and the channel should be muted anyway), when it is plugged back in, the lift should be there when it was before. Like a recall.

Exactly, the DI does whatever Phantom says. If Phantom stays on, then the lift stays lifted. If the channel patch is changed, then most likely the source changed, and you'd want the lift to reset anyway.

These look very tempting, I've been waiting to see some prices.

A) they are expensive
B) If you don't buy enough to use them on every channel, than the buzz will probably happen on a channel that doesn't have one. (Murphy's Law).