Tents

Re: Tents

Is the EZEUP brand that much better/worth investing in? It's almost double the price. Are there any good alternatives?

Yes, although they do have varying price/quality levels. EZUP was the original canopy of this style, and they still make good stuff.

WalMart forces manufacturers to make the cheapest possible version of whatever they make, so I won't even buy name-brand items there any more.

I've heard very good things about the KD Kanopy tents, in the "last tent you'll ever buy" sort of thing. Researching some old posts, the Majestic line seemed to be the one everyone was recommending, but when I contacted KDK, they said they are replacing Majectic with the XTF.

http://www.kdkanopy.com/xtf.html

The video is interesting - I don't know of any tent I've ever owned that the frame would withstand a couple backpacks hanging from them, much less a person doing pull-ups. They're not cheap (~$600), but if they lasted 2-3 seasons that immediately makes them worth the price of admission. Removing the tarp before storage will extend the life span as well.

Mostly the seams. Where the velcro straps are. And the model they offer has vent flaps at the top, which is totally useless in my application and leak when it rains

If the fabric is failing, that's an indication that that particular model was underdesigned (probably to meet a price point). It may be repairable by adding reinforcement at those points, or may not be worth the effort. And I'd guess that moving to a higher-end model will help in this case, as there will be less price pressure on the design.

It was $79.. I thought I'd get at least 2 years out of the tent. The one I bought last time was 99 and it lasted three years.

It was $79. You got what you paid for it.

The pop up tent market has exploded in the last few years with complete and total garbage. Most are glorified sun shades and offer no protection from anything but that. Any wind or rain, and you're screwed.

The GOOD tents are in the $600 and up range, and are MUCH more durable. Not only will they last years, they will also protect you in the event that they are needed.

Buy quality and you won't regret it.

I'm very happy with my Undercover pop-up. I bought the Undercover UC-3 with walls and it is well designed and well built. It has a vented roof with adjustable spring tension to keep it taut so it sheds water easily and it doesn't leak at all. The 4 side walls can zip together to completely enclose it or to wall off the back or sides. The wall clips slide along cables inside the roof edge so they are easy to adjust and the whole thing is waterproof and very solid with reinforcements at all stress points. I've zipped it up tight during some pretty terrible weather and it kept everything at FOH dry and safe. It collapses and travels in a zip up bag with multiple handles, casters, and backpack straps for easy transport.

http://www.getundercover.com/

Often the frames on several levels from one company can take fabric from other levels. Perhaps you can replace your fabric with one of the higher end ones since you say the frame is still good?

Mine (an EZ up) came from BJs and I replaced the white top with an opaque blue one.
They were easy to deal with when I phoned them.

Sent from my iPad HD