The Gaff Gun

Re: The Gaff Gun

I saw this a while ago, and I think I need one. The video kind of speaks for itself. My only question is can you use any tape, or do you have to use their brand? I emailed them about it, and I'm really looking forward to their response.

I saw this a while ago, and I think I need one. The video kind of speaks for itself. My only question is can you use any tape, or do you have to use their brand? I emailed them about it, and I'm really looking forward to their response.

If one of my guys took that long to manually tape a cable, I'd have to have a talk with them. Still, this device looks pretty awesome, as long as it works as shown.

The question I have... can you use a standard roll of Gaff?

Their 2" roll is $23... I can buy Pro Gaffer Gaffers for under $15 a roll.
There's a teaser on the adapter page that is promising something to affect using standard tape.
Kinda cool that they have dry center tapes (tunnel tape?) for easy removal.

Talk about neat, safe and fast dressing of cables - I agree, a bit pricy for bar gigs, but perfect for corporate where neatness counts.

frank

The question I have... can you use a standard roll of Gaff?

Their 2" roll is $23... I can buy Pro Gaffer Gaffers for under $15 a roll.
From their website:
Do I have to use GaffGun tape, or can I use other brands?
The GaffGun is optimized to lay our 1", 2", or 3" tape. GaffGun’s patent-pending CoreLok™ technology guarantees the tape is always centered, and utilizes the GaffGun’s tensioning system making tape application smooth and stable. If your preferred type of tape is not yet available with the CoreLok technology, we offer anadaptor which will allow the use of tape with a standard 3” diameter core, by bypassing the advantages of CoreLok.

I find that I tape most cables with at least 3" tape and often use 2 stripes of 3" tape. (certainly 2 stripes of 2" tape if that's all I have) The video showing 2" tape looks far too conservative to me. I would be looking for a 4" version.

A church I was working at yesterday was shown the video for the first time, and the look on their faces as they realized they would never deal with bad volunteer gaffing again was priceless. I'd say there's definitely a market for these things, and all they have to do now is deliver.