Tips/Tutorials for theatre vocal mic EQ/dynamics?

Simon Eves

Sophomore
May 12, 2013
I've been doing sound for community theatre for about 14 years now, the last couple of years on a digital board (an X32), but sometimes I still struggle with EQ and dynamics.

The same mic in the same rough position on different actors' cheeks can sound radically different. I guess some people's cheek skin or bone is just more resonant than others. Also, even though the mic is fixed to the face, the tone can still change with head position, presumably due to reflections off other parts of their body.

I usually find my EQ curves (again, for cheek-taped mics) ending up as a low cut around 150-200, then about 4-5dB down ramping up to level around 1K, then maybe a small peak around 5-6K for "presence" and 1-2dB push above that for some air if it's a dull mic. I often find that it's a very narrow range between "boomy" and "thin", and find myself tweaking low-cut and the 200-400 dip through the course of a show, as sometimes the same person will sound good when they're singing with others, but then sound too boomy when they're singing solo.

Much of this is probably down to proximity effect of the mic being so close to the cheek. I do try to leave at least 1/2" of cable free past the tape such that the head isn't actually touching the cheek, but that isn't always possible.

I have tried forehead mounting in the past, using toupee clips and/or thin elastic halos, and it certainly gives a more natural sound, but most of the time I can't justify the loss of gain-before-feedback, as I am mostly working in small venues with merely adequate speaker systems, hard walls/ceilings etc.

As for dynamics, I am always very careful about setting transmitter sensitivity so that the loudest people don't clip the transmitter, although the EW100 is better than some when that happens. I try to get the loud peaks at about -12dBFS on the board, although of course people are always louder during the actual show than they ever are during mic test when you ask them to be loud.

I don't usually mess with the compressor settings other than threshold and ratio. I'm not even sure what the default values of attack/hold/release etc. are on the X32 channel compressor. I usually set a 2.0 ratio at a level that they rarely hit, although it's pretty obvious when the do as the sound flattens out. The knee control helps some but not really they're well into compression. I have also tried using a lower ratio (1.5 or 1.3) with a lower threshold, with the hope of getting a smoother transition, but then I lose the safety net when they suddenly decide to be really loud.

To solve that one, I have taken to using subgroups, with the low-ratio smooth compression on the channels, but a higher-ratio higher-threshold one in the subgroup, so that effectively you have two stages of compression. This also helps with keeping a lid on things when lots of people sing together, although the sound when it goes into compression is still weird.

The weirdness is perhaps simply that the X32 channel/subgroup compressors aren't that good, or that I need to adjust the other parameters to make them behave better for vocals. Obviously the board has some much nicer compression algorithms/models in the Effects section, but you can't use those on every channel of a big show.

The run of INTO THE WOODS I just finished had a very dynamic singer as the Witch. Sometimes she would be just whispering, and other times a full-on scream (which often *did* clip the transmitter, or at least pretty much peg the AF meter on the receiver). I had to ride her fader constantly because even in our small 99-seat house, the whispering would be inaudible without reinforcement, but the screaming would take people's heads off unless I ducked it.

I am worried because we're going be re-mounting the show in January in a much bigger (500+ seat) theatre and I probably will no longer be able to just duck her hard and expect that she'll still be heard.

All that said, maybe my "finger compression" skills are better than I give myself credit for, because I did a recording with all post-fader vocals, and it came out OK. You'll see what I mean about her dynamics, though.

http://eves.us/ntc/ITW_1107_LastMidnight.mp3

Anyway, any tips, or pointers to tutorials, gratefully received, thanks!

Simon Eves

Re: Tips/Tutorials for theatre vocal mic EQ/dynamics?

Into the Woods was a challenge for me as well when I did it a few years ago. Fun play though. Sounds like you're doing the right stuff to me. 2 stage compression is a good thing. I'm all about hard knee and fast attack on compressors for this sort of stuff. And I'd go with a higher ratio on the channels too (3 or 4:1) One thing I've been running into with headset mic sound that varies drastically for identical units is that makeup has been getting into some of capsules. Add in some sweat and the mic is basically ruined. Common symptom is low gain compared to a good one and no top end no matter how hard you boost it. So make sure you test them all thoroughly to identify ones that aren't doing a good job.

The other thing with really dynamic actors is to remind them that the mic can only do so much to boost them if they're not loud enough. See if they can maybe be a little louder on the parts where the mic is having trouble. And I hear you about mic check. Same thing often applies to bands. Much of the time they will sing and play louder once their adrenaline kicks in during a performance in front of an audience. Not a lot to do about it.

Based on your write up you are doing an excellent job. I didn't listen to the clip yet but the eq settings you mentioned sound about right. In my experience so much of good theatre sound lies in getting things dialed in the tech rehearsal. The tough thing I often bump up against is gain before feedback in a lot of these venues.
Out of curiosity what are you using for headsets. I agree even when using countryman stuff I have had difficulty making stuff sound natural. Perhaps a few varsity players can chime in.

Sounds like you are doing well. One thing I would suggest is especially for the screamer is to use a mic like the Sennheiser MKe II gold Lapel on the hairline. I find with that position it handles screams a lot better and also has enough gain for the whisper stuff.

Cheers

I think you're pretty spot on with some of these settings already. As far as compression, I definitely agree with Cameron on the ratio. I tend to like 2.5-3 per channel and then again at 2-2.5 on groups. Also helps prevent group shouting from being too loud when it creeps up. Also pay attention to your times. I'm a fan of about 15ms attack and 150ms on the release (IIRC I'm actually drawing a blank and would have to look at my show file to be sure). Some people won't agree on this timing, but I like it.

i have to get back to today's activities, but if I have time I'll take more of a look at the mic situation you're describing, as Ive just skimmed right now.

Some great info there, thank you all.

I am mostly using Sennheiser MKE2 Golds for leads, taped halfway up the cheek. I also have some Countryman B3s and then Microphone Madness PSM-Ls.

I've taken a bit different tack when it comes to dual stage compression. I found that putting a tight ratio of 5:1 or 7:1 at the channel input that only gets tickled on the loudest vocal output. That is followed by a 2.5 to 3:1 ratio on a group that is in mild compression quite a bit of the time. This accomplishes a couple beneficial things. The group compression gets me a bit of "auto mixing". If I am deriving a monitor mix from the input channels the compressor does not change that mix often. And this chain does seem to sound very analog like.

What elements are you using Simon? I use B3's a lot and typically forehead mic females and cheek on males. It does help on the Countryman to spend some time selecting the right EQ cap and placement for each actor. Unfortunately audio is often not given that much dedicated tech time. Really dialing in gain structure on he beltpacks makes a big difference too.
For consistency in college theatre and community stuff I have the actors take a selfie with the mic placement after we nail it and they help my A2 (if I have one) make sure it is spot on.

I know you asked about EQ and compression, but if you get the right element in the right spot with the right gain structure you will not need a ton of EQ and compression (unless the talent sucks).

Otherwise the above suggestions have been great. I too like channel compression and a subgroup with overall compression or dynamic EQ if the room or PA is difficult.