Tripod stand question

Jan 10, 2011
The city with big shoulders
Anyone know or recommend a tripod stand that can get up around 10' high, and be strong enough for a standard clamp on an instrument? I don't need to hang a ton of lights, one crossbar or arm is plenty.

Or...

I need to make or get a couple of 50lb. bases for a 10' run of schedule 40 iron pipe.

There is a real chance that a tripod base is going to be too large for the spots I want to set up these stands, but I'd rather have something portable as a first choice if the strength issue is satisfied.

Best regards,

JOhn

Re: Tripod stand question

Hi John,

If you want to go lightweight, look at the Ultimate Support stands. The TS-88 is about 8' tall and you can add the LTV-24 extender to gain an additional 2' of height. For T-bars, the standard solution would be the LTB-48, which is 4' in length and thick-walled so that you can clamp to it directly. If you intend to mount only one or two fixtures, you can use the LTB-24, a pair of side-arms intended to add a second row beneath the top bar. Put the short bar through the T-clamp sideways and it becomes a 2' top bar. They are sold as a pair, so you'd need only one pair per two tripod stands. USS stands will sway a bit, depending on bumps and wind and whatnot, but are very stable and reliable.

TS-88: Ultimate Support: Home

LTV-24: Ultimate Support: Home

LTB-48: Ultimate Support: Home

LTB-24: Ultimate Support: Home

For on-site compactness and simplicity, a cast base and threaded screw-in 10' pole are hard to beat, but for transportation and handling they are a big pain in the posterior region.

What kind of fixture are you talking about? An S4 leko has a lot of rotational moment; a par38 considerably less.

I have a number of Global Truss ST-132 stands, and though they are a little bit heavy (50lbs), they are incredibly stable, rugged, and go to 13'. They have the standard 1 3/8" pole as well, so they can do double duty as speaker stands. Price from Mike Pyle is VERY reasonable.

Thanks for the replies.

Smaller instruments, 6" fresnel, small Leko. Critical distances are around 25'. Just need something to illuminate faces better than existing track lights that are mounted too overhead. Not going for anything resembling a rock show style lighting situation.

After checking the base spread on both the TS88 and St132, they may be problematic.

50lb base plates look to be the better solution-may see if the facility can spring for a pair.

Best regards,

John

Thanks for the replies.

Smaller instruments, 6" fresnel, small Leko. Critical distances are around 25'. Just need something to illuminate faces better than existing track lights that are mounted too overhead. Not going for anything resembling a rock show style lighting situation.

After checking the base spread on both the TS88 and St132, they may be problematic.

50lb base plates look to be the better solution-may see if the facility can spring for a pair.

Best regards,

John

Base plates are also nicer when they have to be out in more audience accessible areas. It seems no matter where I set a tripod, someone manages to trip over it. I had a SOS gig with a stagemobile. I had the tripod tucked in the space between the stairs and the side of the stage. Two legs were under the stage, and the other was under the stairs. woman still managed to trip over the front leg which was a good 6 inches behind the front skirt of the stage.

The negative with base plates is you need to figure out where to store them, and if the help is not careful they will start to tear up the flooring.

Base plates are also nicer when they have to be out in more audience accessible areas. It seems no matter where I set a tripod, someone manages to trip over it. I had a SOS gig with a stagemobile. I had the tripod tucked in the space between the stairs and the side of the stage. Two legs were under the stage, and the other was under the stairs. woman still managed to trip over the front leg which was a good 6 inches behind the front skirt of the stage.

The negative with base plates is you need to figure out where to store them, and if the help is not careful they will start to tear up the flooring.

Placement near audience seating is the concern. I may make something, and mount locking casters on it. I've had a very cool idea using 45lb. weightlifting plates, and some Baltic Birch discs.

Best regards,

John

Hello

Is there a chance that you could use autopole with sideways extension arm?

like this Manfrotto Autopole 032 B Black - Thomann Suomi

A nice thought, but the ceiling height in the venue averages 14 feet(4.25m).

To Rob Timmerman-these are likely to live at the one venue, a converted four story school building that is an Irish cultural center.

Best regards,

John

John...

I use the following stuff. The strapping I like is vinyl coated so it doesn't scratch and the drywall screws are fine-thread. I anchor tripods such as "studio booms" for theater and such where I need them to be rock-solid and stay in position despite max lateral boom extension. I shoot the screws into the joints between the pieces of hardwood flooring. When you back them out you can't even see the spot unless you know where it was and look very hard. A single piece of strapping looped over or through the legs will dog it down nicely thus minimizing the footprint needed for stability.

Or you can haul weights...

Attachments

• pipe strap.jpg
    pipe strap.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 0
  • screws.jpg
    screws.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 0

This is totally free associating and I have no idea of the cost but have you looked at portable volleyball net standards.

They usually have the pole, and a heavy base with wheels for moving them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Around here we just call up the local theatrical rental house and get bases and pipe. Very cheap for a show.

Sent from my iPad HD

Might do that too.

Jay, buying Altman 50lb cast iron bases would be cheaper, and take the standard schedule 40 1.50" pipe.

The potential to buy some used 45lb weightlifting plates cheap is pretty good, and my kludged stand idea would be viable.

John

I expected the standards to price out a little closer because they are basically the same thing with a non marring finish and a pair of wheels.

Another brilliant idea spoiled by reality.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Technical Pro PTCRANK3 Tripod DJ Crank Speaker Stand & Pro Lighting Stand is a great crank tripod stand for 64.95 on ebay. I bought one to try out and was so pleased I am gradually replacing all light duty non-crank stands with it. They are rated for up to 200 lbs. I have used them with their t bar with 2 movers at a total of 120 lbs with no issue.

For three par 64 and a Strand Fresnel, I use a standard tri-pod lighting stand, which gets me up to between 10 and 11 feet. I then have several of these; Husky 12 in. Document Bag-82012N11 at The Home Depot, filled with about 35 pounds of lead shot. Draped over the leg supports, two or three make for a very stable base, even if the bases are not extend completely.