Trouble with wireless mics

Zack Gedmin

Freshman
Aug 6, 2014
I didn't see a troubleshoot forum, so I hope this is the best place to post.

I have had a AKG SR 40 dual PRO wireless mic set for about 7 years now that I have had serviced one already to replace a bent antenna and a loose contact on one of the gain knobs. They work fine, with the exception of recently they started having interference issues. The signal LED will flicker and nasty static/pops will run through the PA. I thought that maybe it was interference with other electronics, but the problem still seems to be there even when I set them up far away from my rig. One microphone seems to have the issue more than the other, but both of them will behave this way. It also doesn't happen all the time, but I am afraid to even use them, especially on expensive house PAs. Is there a solution to this problem, or should they be junked and replaced? Is it possible to replace internals that could actually be causing this interference? I'm a noob when it comes to wireless audio. Thanks for any advice!

Re: Trouble with wireless mics

I didn't see a troubleshoot forum, so I hope this is the best place to post.

I have had a AKG SR 40 dual PRO wireless mic set for about 7 years now that I have had serviced one already to replace a bent antenna and a loose contact on one of the gain knobs. They work fine, with the exception of recently they started having interference issues. The signal LED will flicker and nasty static/pops will run through the PA. I thought that maybe it was interference with other electronics, but the problem still seems to be there even when I set them up far away from my rig. One microphone seems to have the issue more than the other, but both of them will behave this way. It also doesn't happen all the time, but I am afraid to even use them, especially on expensive house PAs. Is there a solution to this problem, or should they be junked and replaced? Is it possible to replace internals that could actually be causing this interference? I'm a noob when it comes to wireless audio. Thanks for any advice!

Have you tried a different frequency? Have you checked to see if a new low-power TV station is now on the air or is in testing? Has a member of the band added new wireless rig for guitar or bass?

RF devices tend to develop frequency drift over time. Cheaper gear is more susceptible to this problem. The SR40 system is a pretty low end piece of gear to start with. I wouldn't spend any time or money trying to get it serviced. Unload it on eBay or Craigslist and get a new system if it isn't working up to your requirements.

I think the SR40 is a fixed frequency unit without any squelch adjustment control. It sounds like something local has popped up on or near it's operation frequency. Unless it's something local in the building your in that can turned off or set to operate on a different frequency I think it's time for a wireless upgrade.
The Audio Technica 3000 series sounds good, not super expensive, programmable frequency operation. To be some what future proofed maybe look at something not in the 600mhz bandwidth.