Trustworthy Distributor?

Marc Hayes

Freshman
Jan 12, 2011
Quad Cities, IL/IA
www.tnprod.com
So, we do lots of sales across install and production markets, including everything from churches to performing arts centers. In the past, we have purchased through a large distributor that has access to just about anything on the market. It's been great working with them because we don't have to maintain a ton of dealerships, and can get product quickly to our customers. However, as of late, they have switched their internal software systems and now they have dropped the ball on 90% of the orders I have placed in the last 4 months. It has in turn made me look bad and delayed a lot of projects.

Does anyone have a large distributor that carries a host of different products, much like the line card of Full Compass / FDW? If so, please let me know and who your trusted account manager is.

Thanks!!

-Marc

Re: Trustworthy Distributor?

I LOVE BAI Distributors down here in Florida. They carry most lines (although a good chunk of product is drop shipped). I use FDW for some things as well, prices are usually very similar for the stuff they both carry.

FDW took a week to get ahold of since the evil switch they made. It has been frustrating trying to do business with them since then...

Yes, FDW has been horrible as well since the software change. Dropped the ball on a LOT of things, seems like nothing is in stock anymore, their purchasing department even forgot to place their order for over a month for something we needed in 2 weeks.

I'll check out BAI and see what's possible. I'm in Iowa, so I'm concerned about the shipping costs from Florida, but we'll see!

Any other favorites out there??

I have had zero issues with FC/FDW. But then again, it might be my salesman. Not once in the 10 years I have been dealing with him has he ever let me down. Just placed an order recently and it was flawless.
TMP has better pricing usually though but YMMV.

I have had zero issues with FC/FDW. But then again, it might be my salesman. Not once in the 10 years I have been dealing with him has he ever let me down. Just placed an order recently and it was flawless.
TMP has better pricing usually though but YMMV.

I too had several years of great FDW results. This last month though they have botched a $15k order worth of video install gear. Botched is saying it light. They have really embarrassed themselves and me on this. To place the order I had to call them about 6 times over the course of two weeks to actually reach someone. (Kept leaving messages...) Then, Basically they messed up the initial order, got delayed, then didn't change one of the items from a quote to a "sale" so it didn't ship. When I inquired I got an apology and a promise to ship next day to keep our project on schedule. Then, no shipment....more promises and still more mistakes. Also shipped black mounts instead of white.
At each phase they have made lots of excuses about their new system, but this has really been the worst experience I have ever had with ANY distributor.

Again, in the past they have been great. They have officially lost my business though. If your system is so screwed up nothing gets out the door you need to stop taking orders and fix it. This has been going on with them for close to 2 months, maybe longer.

Time for blood pressure meds.

I too had several years of great FDW results. This last month though they have botched a $15k order worth of video install gear. Botched is saying it light. They have really embarrassed themselves and me on this. To place the order I had to call them about 6 times over the course of two weeks to actually reach someone. (Kept leaving messages...) Then, Basically they messed up the initial order, got delayed, then didn't change one of the items from a quote to a "sale" so it didn't ship. When I inquired I got an apology and a promise to ship next day to keep our project on schedule. Then, no shipment....more promises and still more mistakes. Also shipped black mounts instead of white.
At each phase they have made lots of excuses about their new system, but this has really been the worst experience I have ever had with ANY distributor.

Again, in the past they have been great. They have officially lost my business though. If your system is so screwed up nothing gets out the door you need to stop taking orders and fix it. This has been going on with them for close to 2 months, maybe longer.

Time for blood pressure meds.

Right there with you, Eric. I've had nothing but praise with FDW/FC for over 7 years, but the past 4 months have been a living nightmare. So many missed orders, delays in shipping, them never placing their PO, on and on and on. I do understand its due to their software change, but if it was that bad, they needed to downgrade to the old one until things got straightened out. Apparently the sales folks wanted to do that, but the higher-ups said no. Well, hopefully they will pay a little more attention when so many of their customers jump ship.

On that note, does anyone have experience with Tecnec Distributing? http://www.tecnec.com/Index.asp

On that note, does anyone have experience with Tecnec Distributing? http://www.tecnec.com/Index.asp

I've been getting various items from them for years. Always good service, although much of my interaction with them as been strictly through the website. Their prices aren't quite as low as most distributors, but list of lines is huge and it's easy to shop when you don't know exactly what you need for the job. They also handle quite a few of the testers, installation tools, etc. that make installs a bit easier.

Markertek is their public face, by the way.