Turbosound TSW 721.

Reginald Poliah

Freshman
Mar 16, 2015
Hey everybody I want a suggestion, I have a 4*4 stack of speakers 4 tsw721's and 4 tms 3's
i want advice on how you guys think I should wire up my music. and a suggestion on what amp I should get .
Currently in my amp rack I have two crest ca 12's and one crest ca 6 I am now considering buying a crest ca 9.
Im using a turbosound lms d6 to process everything.
All boxes except two of the 721s are loaded with original drivers.
So far this is my plan.
The four 721's are at 8 ohms each so Im thinking of running two on either side of one ca 12.
So that one output i have on the lms Ill use a spitter and get two signals occupying both channels.
that would give me a 4ohm load on each channel

The second Ca 12 I would do the same thing except use it too power the 15's loaded in the tms
each box has 2 15" drivers and its at 4ohms
That would give me a 2ohm load on each channel.

the ca 9 I would use to power the 10's loaded in the tms, using a splitter occupying both channels
each box has 2 10" at 8 ohms
so that should break down to 4ohm load on each channel.

the ca 6 i would use to power the 2 1" compression drivers.
splitting the signal once again.

Im going to give the specs on everything in my following post.
Im learning my pro audio slowly but surely.
all help will be appreciated
thanks.

Re: Turbosound TSW 721.

page2image848
[COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 100.000000%, 100.000000%)]datasheet[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 100.000000%, 100.000000%)]TSW-721[/COLOR]
DIMENSIONS (HxWxD)NET WEIGHTCOMPONENTSFREQUENCY RESPONSE1POWER HANDLING
SENSITIVITY2MAXIMUM SPLCROSSOVERNOMINAL IMPEDANCECONSTRUCTION
GRILLECONNECTORSOPTIONS
SPARES ANDACCESSORIES

TSW SERIES ENGINEERING INFORMATION
825mm x 574mm x 773mm (32.5” x 22.6” x 30.4”)
90kg (198 lbs)
1 x 21” (534mm) LF driver on a TurboBassTM device
50 - 150Hz ±4dB Recommended operational range below 250Hz
600 watts r.m.s., 1200 watts program, 1500 watts peakRecommended amplifier power: 1200 watts @ 8ohms
101dB, 1 W @ 1metre average
131dB continuous3, 137dB peak4
Active: recommended point 80 - 150Hz, 24dB/octave low pass (depending on application)
8 ohms
18mm (3/4”) birch plywood throughout; rebated, screwed and glued. Finished in TurboBluesemi-matt textured paint. Four recessed carrying handles5. Four heavy duty wheels5.
Cloth/expanded metal
(2) Speakon NL4MP wired pin 1+: positive, pin 1-: negative
Installation version, TSW-721i: without handles, wheels or flying points

LS-2101 534mm (21”) LF loudspeaker
RC-2101 Recone kit for LS-2101
MG-780 Replacement cloth/expanded metal grilleW-3 Heavy duty wheel

All measurements are actual figures taken from real-time testing using stated inputs, free from any filtering or weighting.Therefore actual figures may significantly exceed that of other manufacturers with higher published weighted ratings.
Notes
1 Measured on axis, using swept sine-wave input, in a true half space environment
2 Average over stated bandwidth. Measured in an anechoic environment (below 100Hz, verified with ground-planemeasurement) at 5 watts / 3 metres, then scaled to represent 1 watt / 1 metre, using a swept sine-wave input
3 Unweighted pink noise input, measured at 1 metre
4 Verified by subjective listening tests of familiar program material, before the onset of perceived signal degradation5 Not included on installation version

page2image19704
page2image53896

Hi Reginald. I think your plan is fine. The CA9 is more than capable to power the mid section of your boxes. What has changed that you are now short an amp? Is this a new system to you? Did something break that you are replacing?

No TJ,
Im Trying to be cost effective and make smart decisions.
I feel like using one ca 12 too power 4 721's is under powering them ,
From what I heard this could damage my speakers which i don't want happening
Because I already burnt two of those drivers and too fix them back was not cheap.
also I don't want any problems with my power supply or amps tripping.
I want to be safe and have a good sounding setup.
using those xlr splitter is safe?
Also Im getting the ca 9 for decent price so i thought the amp rack would be
good with two ca 12's,ca9 and ca6. I just don't want to damage any of my equipment.

No TJ,

This is 100000% WRONG PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet another audio myth.

Loudspeakers actually "like" having amplifiers drive them that are lower than their power ratings.

THAT IS-AS LONG AS the amp is not driven into clipping.

If you are clipping the amp ( a non linear operation), then that is a different story.

Non linear operation by any piece of gear results in "other situations".

This is 100000% WRONG PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet another audio myth.

Loudspeakers actually "like" having amplifiers drive them that are lower than their power ratings.

THAT IS-AS LONG AS the amp is not driven into clipping.

If you are clipping the amp ( a non linear operation), then that is a different story.

Non linear operation by any piece of gear results in "other situations".

Haha, which amp manufacturer came up with that myth ;-)

'Yikes, you're running the XY500! You know George, you can severely damage your speakers if you don't buy this years model XYZ10000. Just like good gasoline cleans your engine and reduces wear, the harsh waveform artifacts left over from the XY500 eat into your loudspeaker investment. Prolong the life of your loudspeakers by upgrading to the XYZ10000 today!!! '

No TJ,
Im Trying to be cost effective and make smart decisions.
Because I already burnt two of those drivers and too fix them back was not cheap.
also I don't want any problems with my power supply or amps tripping.
I want to be safe and have a good sounding setup.
using those xlr splitter is safe?
Also Im getting the ca 9 for decent price so i thought the amp rack would be
good with two ca 12's,ca9 and ca6. I just don't want to damage any of my equipment.
Reginald, as the other guys have indicated, "under-powering" is a myth. I have answered this question so many times, I wrote up a quick article going into a little more detail. Check it out

What's incredible to me is that I wrote it in 2009 and it's mostly correct!

:) I wrote mine last night sitting on the couch while watching a movie. It needed a few grammar changes when I looked at it again this morning, but honestly the concept isn't that hard to understand at least well enough to debunk the myth. I've linked your article to a number of people over the years.

Real name policy violation
Old thread but worth a try...anyone here know the difference on tsw 121 vs tsw 721?

Any comparable difference?