Venue SC48 group question

Greg Cameron

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
So I'm getting aquatinted with the new desk and have a question about the groups. Since I need more than 8 aux sends, I have the board configured as 8 mono groups + 16 aux sends. In this configuration, you can setup a pair of mono groups to behave as a stereo group. However, if I want to insert a stereo compressor plugin on that group pair, it doesn't appear to be possible even with the group preference set to "expert". Does anyone know if that's a possibility or am I stuck using 2 mono compressors. If so, is there a way to "link" the two compressors?

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Venue SC48 group question

So I'm getting aquatinted with the new desk and have a question about the groups. Since I need more than 8 aux sends, I have the board configured as 8 mono groups + 16 aux sends. In this configuration, you can setup a pair of mono groups to behave as a stereo group. However, if I want to insert a stereo compressor plugin on that group pair, it doesn't appear to be possible even with the group preference set to "expert". Does anyone know if that's a possibility or am I stuck using 2 mono compressors. If so, is there a way to "link" the two compressors?

Thanks,
Greg

I just took the Venue stand-alone for a spin. I loaded a stock "Demo" show file, "SC48 FOH & Monitors". Now enter config mode and select Options >> Busses and click on the Links frame "Edit" button. Select the auxes you want to link as stereo pairs and click on Apply. Now, where to patch a stereo compressor? After a few minutes of frustrated hunting, I tried the obvious... go to the plugins page and click the top bar in an open rack space. Choose Inserts >> Aux. You'll see that the auxes you linked can have a stereo insert.

I tried to attach a couple of screen caps but it get Moderator Kitteh and lose my reply. Bah, humbug.

Tim Mc

I just took the Venue stand-alone for a spin. I loaded a stock "Demo" show file, "SC48 FOH & Monitors". Now enter config mode and select Options >> Busses and click on the Links frame "Edit" button. Select the auxes you want to link as stereo pairs and click on Apply. Now, where to patch a stereo compressor? After a few minutes of frustrated hunting, I tried the obvious... go to the plugins page and click the top bar in an open rack space. Choose Inserts >> Aux. You'll see that the auxes you linked can have a stereo insert.

I tried to attach a couple of screen caps but it get Moderator Kitteh and lose my reply. Bah, humbug.

Hi Tim. Yup, that's true of the auxes, but I'm trying to work with groups ;) They don't have the same type of linking that the auxes do, more of a pseudo link. I'll try my question Avid's site and see what they say.

Thanks,
Greg

gregyou are correct....they do NOT link like aux's do. im pretty sure it was covered in one of the webinars a while back. i tried to do it myself right after i got my console and discovered the limitation. its one of the only downfalls about my sc48 that ive found. but i mainly mix in mono, so it doesnt bother me.

gregyou are correct....they do NOT link like aux's do. im pretty sure it was covered in one of the webinars a while back. i tried to do it myself right after i got my console and discovered the limitation. its one of the only downfalls about my sc48 that ive found. but i mainly mix in mono, so it doesnt bother me.

I guess the question is then, can I link two instances of a compressor plugin so the detectors trigger the same way like a stereo version of the plugin? I've posted that question DUC. I would be nice if the groups had more flexibility like the auxes do. Hey, it's only software right? ;)

Thanks,
Greg

hello
excuse me for my bad english writting, i'm french.
Something else about sc-48. When i'm doing monitor from foh(i think it's the same for l-r master) you can't patch the pinknoise before the 31bd eq from the desk, meaning if you try to adjuste the response from the syst. using the internal noise the eq didn't work. i used pink on on input channel routed to the auxes, to the main...

hello
excuse me for my bad english writting, i'm french.
Something else about sc-48. When i'm doing monitor from foh(i think it's the same for l-r master) you can't patch the pinknoise before the 31bd eq from the desk, meaning if you try to adjuste the response from the syst. using the internal noise the eq didn't work. i used pink on on input channel routed to the auxes, to the main...

Simply use the patchbay to route the oscillator output to an input channel, then route that channel out the mains. Then all the processing remains in the signal path.

Greg,

One option: Set in 8 mono group mode, stereo pair the odd/even group pair, send group analog and return to one of the fx return stereo pairs. Insert compressor on fx return.

Just saw this follow up. Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I'm very curious to see what Avid will be introducing in the new D-Show. There appears to be quite a buzz. I think this desk is fast becoming their bread & butter, so it makes sense they'd really up the feature set another notch.

Greg