Vertical raceway for socapex

Phil Graham

Honorary PhD
Mar 10, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I need to install a vertical raceway to lace up some socapex runs to for temporary lighting of a stage play. I have three questions:

1. Does anyone know the code for separation of this raceway from the AC subpanel conduit that is feeding the dimmer packs?
  2. Is there a specific type of raceway that I need for code compliance?
  3. Do you have a preferred brand of raceway? The mounting material is a concrete block wall.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Vertical raceway for socapex

Hi Phil,

I don't see separation of the raceway from conduit mentioned in the attached NEC rules that seem relevant, nor does it a appear a raceway is required.
It does appear multiconductor cords are to be on insulators not more than 10 feet apart.

I have not seen that done on any temporary installation, standard practice is a spanset around the socopex bundle hanging from the truss or fly bar.
Never heard of an electrical inspector not going for that, but have not been looking.

To be compliant with the NEC rule you could rig a vertical pipe or small truss and have spansets support the socopex every 10' from pipe clamps.

Attachments

• NEC.png
    NEC.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 0

Plenty of options for cable trays (not raceway, they are different), although the NEC doesn't allow their use for flexible cable. I'll also ask the question of how long the run is, and how you plan on providing strain relief for the cables.

Well, technically raceways are supported by cable trays :) The run is 15' vertical, and I am hoping the strain relief will be dictated by the code. I know the NEC doesn't allow this cable in the raceway permanently, but I'm hoping someone knows if there's a section that covers this temporary case.

Well, technically raceways are supported by cable trays :) The run is 15' vertical, and I am hoping the strain relief will be dictated by the code. I know the NEC doesn't allow this cable in the raceway permanently, but I'm hoping someone knows if there's a section that covers this temporary case.

I don't know of any exception in the NEC, but I doubt most local inspectors would mind the appropriate use of cable tray in this application. It's better than the alternatives.

Article 392 covers cable tray, and all it has to say about non-horizontal runs is to securely fasten the cables to transverse members of the cable tray. That may be difficult with a 15' vertical run (how are you planning on running those cables?).