Visualizing the Mag & Phase of the 2 Element "End-Fire" Sub Array

Frank Koenig

Sophomore
Mar 7, 2011
Palo Alto, CA USA
www.dunmovin.com
I got curious about the two (there may be more) methods of setting up a 2 element end-fire array and, before confusing myself with modeling programs and actual experiments, I thought I'd try to grock a simple model. Here goes. Please check my math and reasoning.

We recall that both methods involve physically spacing the sources by a distance that corresponds to an electrical delay applied to one of them, which we call "d".

In what we shall call Type A, both sources have the same polarity and the audience-side source is delayed by d.

In what we shall call Type B, the stage-side source has reverse polarity relative to the audience-side and is delayed by d.

On axis, assuming ideal omnidirectional point sources, and neglecting the level difference due to distance (equivalent to being in the extreme far field) we observe the following properties: Type A has a perfect impulse response, or, alternatively, flat magnitude and phase, on the audience side, and provides a zero (notch) at f = 1/4d on the stage-side.

Type B has perfect cancellation for all frequencies on the stage-side but has a "doubled" impulse response that corresponds to a broad hump in magnitude with the first zero at f=1/2d on the audience-side.

So far so good, this is all old hat to you sub-array guys. What might be interesting is the phase behavior of the two non-trivial cases, which are the stage-side of Type A and the audience-side of Type B. The graphs below (done in MathCad) show a 180 deg phase discontinuity at each zero. This is real, not a phase-wrap artifact, as the range of the Arg function, as used here, is minus pi to pi (-180 deg to +180 deg).

EndFireSub.jpg

A few notes on the transfer function: the factor of 2 in the exponent comes from the delay being applied twice, once for the acoustic delay and once for the electric delay. The minus sign for Type B comes from the polarity flip of the stage-side source.

--Frank

Last edited:
Re: Visualizing the Mag & Phase of the 2 Element "End-Fire" Sub Array

I do regognize the graph's . The top blue is the "reverse comb filter" respons a gradient sub array has @ the audiance side and the red might be the respons of a end fired 2 element array @ the stage side . The bottum screen looks to me like the respons you try to get at the stage side of a gradient array .
I'm completely lost however on the math in the screenshot but that's my bad : i'm not in to the math formula's that apply to these array's . I'm just using the data measuring real live arrays with SIM3/SMAART/SAT-live .
The frequency respons is simular when using MAP on Line and the RBV2-9 program .
@ my blog i did some posts about these arrays
http://timobeckmangeluid.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/end-fired-sub-array-only-in-english/http://timobeckmangeluid.wordpress.com/2011/11/14/the-gradient-sub-array-or-reversed-end-fired-as-i-call-it-english-only/
http://timobeckmangeluid.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/csa-the-cardioid-sub-array-according-to-some-from-db/
http://timobeckmangeluid.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/why-even-bother/

The problem i ran in to was of axis response and the way to do calculations on the level wich again is due to me not paying attention during high school math & physics so i decided to stick with the data on screen of my measurement devices in real live situations . It's sometimes a bit difficult because of reflections bluring the data on screen but that's live .

quote : as the range of the Arg function, as used here, is minus pi to pi (-180 deg to +180 deg)
I'm lost here . I'm from the netherlands so i got no idea what you mean with a arg function . Could you explain this in plain english ? (again sorry i'm apperently not as good in english as i thought)

Thanx for the effort though and for posting .....

Edit i did take a look at wiki but i'm still lost

Last edited:

Timo, Thank you for your reply and the links to the simulations.

It appears that you model a "type A", to use my nomenclature, array with 4 uniformly spaced elements. This is very attractive since the on-axis audience-side impulse response (and SPL summation) is preserved and the notches on the stage-side fall at different frequencies within the pass band, spreading the overall reduction in level. Relevant, too, is your observation that the stage is not in the far field and therefore the cancellations are not perfect, due to the difference in distance of the sources.

Another degree of freedom, of course, is to use non-uniform spacing, with the delays adjusted accordingly. But before going any further with this I should spend a day in the library, rather than a month in the lab (or The LAB), as they say. There are, no doubt, many technical articles that beat this to death, in the realm of antenna design, if not loudspeaker arrays. And modeling arrays this way is very analogous to FIR filters, so there's all that to draw on.

--Frank

I do know and every now and than i get the question from the people that hire me about fir filters (today was 1 of those days ;-).
I know a bit about how the fir thing works but i tell them i'm not messing with them for a lot of reasons but the main reasons being :
1st : i'm not a mathematician so i do not know how to develope a fir filter and
2nd : i can't controll them or change them in the field if needed .

The method i'm using to correct or better change the phase respons of a system is via a combination of delay all-pass filters and different combinations high and low-pass filters .
It adds a bit of latency to the system (so does FIR) but it's something i understand (a little bit thanxs to the meyer sound educational program and specialy MAGU and Bob) and it's something i can controll live in the field and alter real time wich works better for me .
I would still like to know how to develope a fir filter but i think it will take me a long time to really understand the tech stuff involved but maybe who knows where i'll be within say 5 years .....

Last edited:

Just to be clear, I was not suggesting the use of electrical FIR filters to process signals for subwoofer arrays. I was only acknowledging that some of the math is the same. The output of an FIR filter is the weighted sum of variously delayed copies of the input signal, just as the sound at a point in space is the weighted sum of variously delayed versions of the sounds coming from the sources. So the same mathematical approach (z-transforms) can be used for both. --Frank