Wedgies

Re: Wedgies

I am looking for some wedges. Requirements: bi-amp capable(unless they a powered, which I am not opposed to), does not need to meet riders but if they do thats a plus, moderately priced ($1000 each), not too large because I end up on a lot of small stages(I was thinking 12''), pole mount would be a plus but is not a deal breaker, no rat fur. Thanks guys!

I'd check out the Yamaha DSR 112

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/speakers/dsr_series/dsr112.html

Haven't heard them yet although based on Yami's track record I'm definitly excited to. They are low profile and come in a reasonable bit under your budget. No rat fur and are pole mountable.

I think I remember someone saying these where just a Powered Version of the Club stuff.

I presume they'd try to keep it reasonable. Crossover point is on the higher side, 1.7K, so that works in their favor with FIR latency.

That's right, lower points require more taps don't they? That is a very high x-over point. And that 134dB of peak output is really high. Of course, I'm sure that's calculated and of course no frequency spec is given. So the reality it that it's probably really 126dB measured and at 3kHz
icon_wink.gif

Greg

That is exactly the problem with using single number to try and describe how a loudspeaker ''operates''.

Below is a good example of a loudspeaker that has a high peak SPL rating (it is rated for 142dB peak on the manufacturers spec sheet), but can only achieve that SPL at a single freq. What would be called a more ''nominal'' level is 10dBish lower
icon_rolleyes.gif

This is from their EASE data. it is not a ''published'' spec-so to speak (not in their literature)-but is viewable with the right tools.

So the ''operating SPL'' is much lower than the ''peak'' number on the spec sheet.

That peak is useless and once it is ''eqed out'' so the response would be usable, the ''peak'' level will be quite a bit lower.

You HAVE to be very careful when looking at single numbers on spec sheets

Below is a good example of a loudspeaker that has a high peak SPL rating (it is rated for 142dB peak on the manufacturers spec sheet), but can only achieve that SPL at a single freq. What would be called a more ''nominal'' level is 10dBish lower
icon_rolleyes.gif

This is from their EASE data. it is not a ''published'' spec-so to speak (not in their literature)-but is viewable with the right tools.

So the ''operating SPL'' is much lower than the ''peak'' number on the spec sheet.

That peak is useless and once it is ''eqed out'' so the response would be usable, the ''peak'' level will be quite a bit lower.

That peak would not have to be EQ'd out, as the graph shows the max output Vs. frequency (a different input level at every frequency), not the frequency response (for which the drive level is the same at every frequency).

I'll be providing for a fundraiser next Sunday on the north side of Chicago if you want to come down and check them out.

Best regards,

John

Is this a proprietary design? Looks sleek.

Thanks for the compliment, It is a design that Curtis List, Jack Arnott, and myself have worked out over the last 18 months. We are selling them, inquire privately if you're interested. They are dual angle, dual Speakon, and have a pole cup and a handle.

Attached is a shot from yesterday's fundraiser gig. I had one older musician who is deaf on the right side, and I needed to angle his monitor from the left and turn it to ''11.5'' I could not believe how loud he wanted it-I could almost literally pull his channel fader out of the house mix and he could still be heard halfway back in a full ballroom.

Best regards,

John

I am looking for some wedges. Requirements: bi-amp capable(unless they a powered, which I am not opposed to), does not need to meet riders but if they do thats a plus, moderately priced ($1000 each), not too large because I end up on a lot of small stages(I was thinking 12''), pole mount would be a plus but is not a deal breaker, no rat fur. Thanks guys!

Id like to suggest the EAW SM129zi. While not biampable without mods, I think you will find you won't need to.

Here's another shot from the front. You can see the pole cup and maybe just a bit of the handle on the end of each cabinet in the photo.

In defense of the wedges, those are some fairly small Irishmen on stage.
icon_twisted.gif

It was quite an event for one of the volunteers at the organization who for years prepped gift baskets for other fundraising events-$64k was raised to help her with the cancer treatment she needs now.

Best regards,

John

Id like to suggest the EAW SM129zi. While not biampable without mods, I think you will find you won't need to.

yeah, those can get pretty loud and clear for being as tiny as they are. did a really loud indian show once and the amps ran out of gas before the wedges did. but i do think they don't look as small as they are because they aren't all that low profile...

my fav eaw baby monitor is the sm200. 'course i have no idea what those cost, so i should probably have just not bothered mentioning that...

oh well...
icon_smile.gif

brian

''Fairly small Irishmen'' are usually called ''Leprechauns.''
icon_lol.gif

Good work on Una's fundraiser. I hope her treatments are successful and she can enjoy more fine music and musicians for years to come.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim ''swears he's seen a Leprechaun'' Mc