What to do, if anything?

Re: What to do, if anything?

Here are my toughs.

If you go line array way you need to get the flying equipment too. So if you dont have the truss system or some other way to fly the boxes, then that will be a considerable investment to. And not a one man job anyway.

If you dont do many 500 and more people gigs i would go with a nice, light a powerful 60x40 trap boxes.

3 per side can cover a lot.

How's your sub section? Have any?

OR you could just call the guy who bought your 650/UX and rent them back
icon_lol.gif

I'm just ''up the street'' and hour or so - call me (or Gary) when you have something bigger than what you can't handle with whatever you end up with. After speaking with you briefly Jeff, it sounds like your interest is still in live sound, but you might be tired of the luggin. Let me know if you have something you want to ''brief case'', and I'll bring my truck, and some guys, and we'll do a show.

OR you could just call the guy who bought your 650/UX and rent them back
icon_lol.gif

I'm just ''up the street'' an hour or so - call me (or Gary) when you have something bigger than what you can't handle with whatever you end up with. After speaking with you briefly Jeff, it sounds like your interest is still in live sound, but you might be tired of the luggin. Let me know if you have something you want to ''brief case'', and I'll bring my truck, and some guys, and we'll do a show.

@ Shane,

Of course I know you're an hour away (if you meet me halfway). Trust me, you'll be in my short list of calls when I need stuff. Realistically the problem is that there is nothing A rig worthy here in my town right now - I work closely with Gary but he's in the same ''what to do'' boat and is still using TX which IMO is long in the tooth and not very scalable.

You're right, I am somewhat sick of lugging. The small rig already fills my trailer and I have no desire to get a bigger trailer as that opens up another can of worms.

I have something coming up where I will need to get either the 650's or maybe even your 730's. I'll talk to you about this privately when the details come together.

@ Everyone else:

Re the other suggestions of versarray and 730's, I have no desire to own either.

730's don't scale down enough for the small stuff and several people in my area (including Shane) have them readily available.

The Versarray Brandon mentions doesn't scale up enough. I've used them enough to know them pretty well. Sure, you can do a big pile of them, but it had better be pretty much a flat hang.... this was discussed at length on PSW, it's a real issue if you have much splay between boxes. Also the crossover point gets really high when you use the ''rock'' presets and of course this affects off axis response. Sure they are cheap but I'm not interested, not quite what I want.

I think I'm going to do nothing. Just sit and wait and see what develops. That'll make Shane happy anyway...
icon_lol.gif

Evan, the closest Danley box to something of the size I'd want would be the SM60F, but it can't scale big enough.

In what way? I suspect four of those plus subs would be very versatile, and could handle 1000 attendance.

Best regards,

John

This seems like it would be a real stretch other than doing really non-demanding stuff. They are rated at lower efficiency and less long term output than the 650 with similar peak output. A 40x40 version might be more suitable for me. The 50 lbs thing is appealing though.

Evan, the closest Danley box to something of the size I'd want would be the SM60F, but it can't scale big enough.

In what way? I suspect four of those plus subs would be very versatile, and could handle 1000 attendance.

Best regards,

John

I agree here.

What about Turbosound Flex? There were some for sale in the marketplace over on the other boards. You can rotate the horn for a ground stack vertical operation or rotate it back for a line arrray. I dont know the specifics. If I remember right they are only about 97lbs?

Anyways no if you do not find the RIGHT equipment to suite YOUR needs then you should NOT buy. Like someone else say maybe build up a relationship with one of the better larger companies for only the larger gigs.

Jeff,

I look at the spec sheets and see the 650 rated at 128.5db spl long term for the low freq. section in biamp mode.

The SM60 is rated 131db spl long term.

The sensitivities of both boxes are within 1db(discounting the HF sens. spec on the 650).

Now, I'm not saying they are identical, nor the same type of ''sound'', but they're close enough one on one that I'd sure want to investigate.

Given that there's almost a 3:1 weight difference and half the size, plus that patented Danley stuff that makes them ''sound'' louder...

Also, the play together nicely even if you have to do that nasty overlap thing. Stack two vertically, it's surprising how good the sound holds up.

Best regards,

John

Like someone else say maybe build up a relationship with one of the better larger companies for only the larger gigs.

That's not an issue. The issue is the convenience factor. I don't have a local option for HQ ''big''.

Shane is my closest local HQ option, and he is far enough away to occupy half a work-day of driving (pickup and return) unless he delivers or meets me half way. This is fine for larger gigs with a decent budget and flexible timelines, but isn't always ideal.

Jeff,

I look at the spec sheets and see the 650 rated at 128.5db spl long term for the low freq. section in biamp mode.

The SM60 is rated 131db spl long term.

The sensitivities of both boxes are within 1db(discounting the HF sens. spec on the 650).

Now, I'm not saying they are identical, nor the same type of ''sound'', but they're close enough one on one that I'd sure want to investigate.

Given that there's almost a 3:1 weight difference and half the size, plus that patented Danley stuff that makes them ''sound'' louder...

Also, the play together nicely even if you have to do that nasty overlap thing. Stack two vertically, it's surprising how good the sound holds up.

Best regards,

John

Ah, I misread the spec sheet John.

They do look compelling and it's nice that they are passive, but I'm not really keen in running 4 per side and having to rely on vertically stacking 60x60 boxes.

That said, 2 per side would probably cover around 90% of my gigs and would reduce the necessity of some B rig gear, so it's worth some consideration.

What's MAP on those? Do you own them?

I'm an old Servodrive dog. I've got older iterations of Tom's designs.

I don't work for Tom's current company, so I'd say get in touch with them at Intergalactic HQ and see about demos or someone near you who may have them.

There's a young guy named Matt Pea who may have registered here(he's on ''the other'' forum I know) who bought a pair after talking to me last Summer at Irishfest in Milwaukee(and with the company) along with a sub, and has had a great time doing gigs.

They go up on Ultimate type stands easy, and provide a surprising amount of high quality sound for their size.

I'd buy them myself, but I have two different pair of older Danley tops, and just have no need to switch.

Best regards,

John

I've kind of been watching the ''next size up'' from what I'm doing just now and have been looking at the Tannoy VQ 60 stuff seems to get good reviews etc (and it's made just down the road from me) there are downfill horns and extra low mids to help exand it, no idea of the pricing overseas though, no amp racks or crossovers reqd .G