What to take on a FreeLance Job?

Re: What to take on a FreeLance Job?

You're walking into a Freelance Job and all gear should be supplied... what would you pack in a backpack?

What kind of gig? Corporate A1 or A2? Wedding band? Bar band? Band opening for touring act?

The core of what I carry doesn't change much: small selection of various adapters, gender-benders, Y cords, Rapco Iso-Blox, dynamic mic w/switch, Whirlwind Qbox. Cables and kak for any outboard gear or other stuff I bring with me, and a power strip w/o MOV. Headphones/IEMs as appropriate.

The rest varies- on corpy gigs I have my own intercom headset and bring a belt pack (old ClearCom silver box, indestructible) and a ClearCom/Telex converter box; a bigger batch of adapters and a couple Radial Pro AV1.

I also have my laptop and a tablet of some flavor and frequently carry a wireless access point.

I carry pretty much exactly what Tim carries...but I work full-time in corny AV. For anything with music performance, I'll bring my mic pack (various types, brands, etc.) and some DI boxes. I know what I have works.

I bring gear that makes my life easier and adds value to the services I offer. If it gives me a leg up (or helps me limp along should something go belly-up), all the better.

Sent from my iPhone

This is what is in my case currently:

-Tuning rig (laptop, interface, measurement mic)
-Talkback mic with switch
-Leatherman
-Voltage meter
-Ipod and cables
-USB drives with software and preset files for several consoles
-Headphones
-Disto
-Flashlight
-Mouse

As Tim states, the type of gig matters. In general, though, I like to have the following with me:

* Multitool
* flashlight
* sharpies (black and silver)
* water
* energy bars
* small tool kit (6" c-wrench, 10-in-1 screwdriver, hex keys, tweaker, non-contact voltage probe, small clamp meter with DMM functions)
* work gloves
* ear plugs

To that I'll add, as appropriate:
* laptop
* headphones
* coms headset
* adapter kit
* dress blacks
* sunscreen
* E-tape (white and black)
* clipboard with advance info
* worklight
* USB sticks

In general, I bring stuff to make my life easier and more comfortable.

As was drilled into me years ago "WHAT ARE YOU THERE TO DO"?

Freelance could mean almost anything from unloading a truck to system alignment to mixing etc.

Figure out the job-and then add a few things that you "think" you might need.

What kind of gig? Corporate A1 or A2? Wedding band? Bar band? Band opening for touring act?

Tim, Can we say all the above and more. So I can get my hands in Sound, Lighting, Video and Staging. (but no bar jobs)

Basically, there are a few production companies that I have been working with as a general freelance, but I've been on less than a handful of jobs each year. But since our Wedding band doesn't have to many gigs planed, I can pick up a few more Freelancing jobs.

As was drilled into me years ago "WHAT ARE YOU THERE TO DO"?

Freelance could mean almost anything from unloading a truck to system alignment to mixing etc.

Figure out the job-and then add a few things that you "think" you might need.

Most of the Jobs I get hired on are as a A2, but then there are some that are "General Tech".

Most of the Jobs I get hired on are as a A2, but then there are some that are "General Tech".

For A2 I would say the stuff Tim and others have mentioned. Measurement and RF test gear is a big plus if doing monitors or RF coordination duties.

When I hire "general tech" freelancers I more expect them to have a multi tool, flashlight and sharpie. Bonus points (and more jobs to come) for my general tech guy last week who happened to have a basic tool kit with him when I couldn't find the right Allen key in my kit for something mission critical. I think it's a good idea to have a basic hand tool bag if at all practical. Depends on the gig. I will say as a small to regional sized soundco owner I am more inclined to give you more work if you show up prepared for the inevitable.

Energy, clean clothes and breath, and a positive attitude.

If the employer needs more than that, THEY are under-prepared.

......Alright - a reasonably fresh sharpie and a lanyard.

While true, I would rather have the freelancer that plays the role of the hero and all star than the guy who tells me I was underprepared, or "not my job".

My big question is always who is providing transportation?

If I am driving myself to a gig, I likely have my complete briefcase and computer bag in the truck whether I plan on needing it or not.

If I am riding to the gig unless told otherwise I trim down to nothing because I don't want to have to keep track of extra stuff during the gig.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

While true, I would rather have the freelancer that plays the role of the hero and all star than the guy who tells me I was underprepared, or "not my job".

These fears are avoided through the "Pre-Employment Screening".

...and why is it "FreeLance" with the odd, mid-word capitalization?

I always bring basic hand tools, light, pen. I'll bring call specific tools depending on the job. I usually toss in a small power drill/screwdriver after having to un-crate some gear by hand once. Multi-meter, laptop, various testers usually find their way into the bag. Sometimes it's dependent on how secure I feel the site is.

I guess what it comes down to is that I bring all my own personal gear and some stuff to do minor fixes (though I did re-solder an entire snake on one gig once, eww). I feel like equipment used on stage for making the show happen is the responsibility of the provider. Sometimes I'll bring my own stuff for some of that to make my job easier or more enjoyable but it should be replacing gear already there not filling a hole. If I'm filling too many holes too often for a provider then we have to talk about a rental agreement.

Don't want to go all Jackanory on you so I'll try to keep this short. I started out by helping out a buddy who was providing tech services (stage sound light video for presentations disco and small band) for small conventions ( up to 500 people). Most of the gear was relatively elderly so I started I take a few basic tools with me for repairing things should the provided equipment be a bit ropey, which has more than once saved the day.

water - never be too busy to stay hydrated. Imagine how much you think you will need then double it!
cereal bars - get the ones with dried fruit in. Better than chocolate and will keep your energy levels up
pocket flashlight
wire strippers
soldering iron
solder
electrical tape
Sidecutters
Hex wrenches imperial and metric
Leatherman
Small vice grips
adustable wrench
phone charger
batteries. They should have spares but if they don't you have just earned yourself future work!
a watch so you are not reliant on your phone for the time....

Other 'nice to have' things I bring are a laptop with a few extra relevant 'fillers' that can be thrown onto the screens or sound system when the actors are late on stage with a waiting room full of people; and I print out basic IMDb info on them so that if the audience runs dry I can keep the guests flowing by throwing in a relevant question or two.

On the subject of which probably the most important thing that you will need in order to shine is what you won't have when you most need it and that is TIME. Be there early because most problems are found during set up and testing. The more time you have in hand the better. The seven Ps come into play. Prior preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance.

THINGS TO BRING THAT YOU CANT FIT IN A BAG
ears for listening
brain for thinking
willing and positive attitude
integrity. We changed out the mic batteries as a precaution (we use them in flashlights and other not so critical stuff afterwards) and they disappeared into the bag of one of the 'volunteer' staff provided by the organiser. The volunteer got piqued when I politely asked where the batteries were and he said something about 'disposing' of them (when he produced them he had carefully bound them in electrical tape). Later on during breakdown he started damaging stuff that would have been expensivlve if not impossible to replace, by rough handling without engaging brain first. When I told to stop and then explained why I wanted something done a certain way I got an earful of "I don't need micromanaging I've been doing this professionally for 15 years I know what I'm doing". Well all he'd proved just then is that in 15 years as a 'pro' all he'd proved is what a bell end he was. That said, he did have some great technical knowledge, but with that attitude I can't afford to have him around in the future.

THINGS TO LEAVE AT HOME
Ego. Our job as tech guys is to make others look good. If the numpty on stage switches their mic off because they can't help fiddling with it, give them another one rather than point out their mistake in public (that can be discussed later with the organiser if needs be)

Last edited: