Whats available for small rack mount mixers? Like the Rane/Alesis/Whirlwind style

I'm looking for a rackmount mixer for dry rentals. Ideally it would be stereo, have channel EQ, and at least one aux for monitors. I seem to do a lot of solo/duo acoustic acts and something like this would be great for me. Unfortunately I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

So what are you using that was worth the money, has the features I need, and is robust enough to last more than one season? I see several that would work, but the brand name on the front of the unit doesn't fill me with confidence that it'll work everytime I need it!

Just FYI I would probably rack this up with out board eq and an appropriate amp. I use the CX404 a lot in these situations. Gives me a left/right and 2 monitors in a lightweight package.

I know some people will suggest a gigrac or similar but I don't particularly like those options. The cheap non-defeatable EQ's and the cheap power amps are features that are not needed. Plus, all the IO is on the front of them and I hate that.

I guess I should also say that the Behringer rack mixer would be just about perfect if it didn't say berhinger on the front......

Last edited:
Re: Whats available for small rack mount mixers? Like the Rane/Alesis/Whirlwind style

I've used several Alesis Studio 12Rs successfully. They have been rock solid reliable for me. Behringer made a rip-off copy that doesn't come close in comparison to sound quality, but it's $100 cheaper and has built in effects. Yay.

Re: Whats available for small rack mount mixers? Like the Rane/Alesis/Whirlwind style

I know some people will suggest a gigrac or similar but I don't particularly like those options. The cheap non-defeatable EQ's and the cheap power amps are features that are not needed. Plus, all the IO is on the front of them and I hate that.

+1 . . . useless built-in 9 band graphics and unwanted, crap-tastic effects just suck more then anything else in the world.

I personally dig the small Yamaha MG series for small utility mixers... good useable feature set, solid brand reputation and a low enough price point to not worry about them not returning from rental in superb condition. My little one has been rock solid... hasn't been treated super carefully, and is in excellent condition. The little 4-XLR input model I have has a plastic bottom, and it doesn't even show scuffs or scrapes. Normally I'm not into plastic gear, but for the bottom of this little mixer it is quite rugged and perfectly acceptable to me having owned it for a little over a year now.

Hope that's helpful?