What's equivalent to a Meyer UPA-1P?

Lisa Lane-Collins

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I'm about to put in a bid for supplying an event.

It's for a launch outdoors. Expecting about 200 people. Rival company has specced 2 Meyer UPA-1Ps. Looking at the specs they seem to just be fancy 550w speakers. I'm wondering if they have other attributes I'm missing that make them best suited to this gig? And if I can spec my JBLPRX615s (at an appropriately lower price being that they are I assume a much cheaper box). The objective is to be able to hear the words at the back of the crowd, I'd quite like them to hire from me but I don't want to wreck their gig by bringing in something too quiet.

If the PRXs aren't going to cut it, I could cross hire from anywhere but the rival company, hence the wondering what other speakers are equivalent to the UPA-1Ps?

Re: What's equivalent to a Meyer UPA-1P?

I'm about to put in a bid for supplying an event.

It's for a launch outdoors. Expecting about 200 people. Rival company has specced 2 Meyer UPA-1Ps. Looking at the specs they seem to just be fancy 550w speakers. I'm wondering if they have other attributes I'm missing that make them best suited to this gig? And if I can spec my JBLPRX615s (at an appropriately lower price being that they are I assume a much cheaper box). The objective is to be able to hear the words at the back of the crowd, I'd quite like them to hire from me but I don't want to wreck their gig by bringing in something too quiet.

If the PRXs aren't going to cut it, I could cross hire from anywhere but the rival company, hence the wondering what other speakers are equivalent to the UPA-1Ps?
Who says they are "best suited" for the gig?

They are probably what the company has in stock and can send out for that price.

Knowing what the gig actually is would help.

You say "hear the words". So that means it a talking head (speeches) type of thing?

What sort of levels are needed etc.

The UPA-1P is just a nice "90x40" speaker on a stick with inflated output SPL specifications. It does have a larger HF diaphragm allowing for a lower Xover point and more even pattern control than the JBL PRX615, but not hugely different.

Attachments

• UPA-1P.png
    UPA-1P.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 1

The UPA-1P is just a nice "90x40" speaker on a stick with inflated output SPL specifications. It does have a larger HF diaphragm allowing for a lower Xover point and more even pattern control than the JBL PRX615, but not hugely different.
Meyer - You can buy better, but you can't pay more.

The Meyers sound better overall, will go louder and still sound good, they are simply better. However, in terms of what size crowd you can cover, they are reasonably evenly matched.

RCF TT2A is pretty close.

The magic seems to be decent phase response, subdued/pro looks, wood box, and the brand name 'club'.

There is a noticeable sonic difference between a UPA-1P and a JBL PRX615. It is a much nicer sounding speaker. This isn't to say that the PRX615 is crap or anything. It is a very nice sounding speaker ..... just not in the same league as the UPA-1P.

Meyer does indeed charge pretty good money for their speakers, but there is a reason that people are willing to pay such high prices. You really can hear the difference. The question would be .... is it $3000.00 nicer sounding ;)