Wireless audio feed

Ben Lawrence

Senior
Mar 2, 2011
Vermont
vtaudiovisual.com
I have a install in a gymnasium. For basketball games they are looking to stream music to the installed rack. I used a wireless mic setup last year as a temporary solution but as you can imagine that was less than ideal . The settings had to be dead on with the attenuation on the transmitter and level from the computer. It worked with minimal distortion but it was an ENG setup and ate batteries.
I think they have power at the desk they announce from so thinking maybe a 2.4ghz solution might work. RCA or 1/8" input with RCA output. We have a Australian Monitor mixer in the rack.
Looking for a economical solution. The distance from the transmitter to the rack is probably 100'-150' with line of site typically.

I've been testing out the Denon setup. I can easily get 300 feet in an open field (ie: line of sight, no obstructions, and no one with cell phones to interfere). I can get 25' every time in a crowded room where we don't completely have line of sight (probably one obstruction or more). I'm still figuring out where in between those two things are its real limits. My guess is that in a crowded room with line of sight i'll be able to rely on around 50' and occasionally get 100' if I don't care about quality. That's pretty good.

From what i've seen so far, my company guidelines are probably going to end up "deploy 35' or less with line of sight... 20' or less if you have to go through a wall." That allows lots of safety margin so we can actually promise quality of service.

i do hear sound quality degradation (and it doesn't vary by distance -- its always there... mostly at the low end). So I'd not use it for your mains on a music-focused event. I'm using it for speaking gigs and for satellites.