Wireless camcorder/audio question...

JOSEPH DIXON

Freshman
Jan 16, 2011
Indiana
OK, I'd like to know if something like this exists. Here's what I want to do. I want to be able to send a main mix out of the console and into my camcorder without the cable. Is there some sort of wireless device I can get that would do this?

I would think there's gotta be a little "box" with two inputs and some sort of level control. You know, you come out of the console right and left and into the "little box". You push record on the camcorder, or the "box" (or both at the same time? I don't know...), and the wireless audio goes into the camcorder just is if you were using a cable.

I do not want to have to come home and dump audio into my computer, sync it up somehow, and then get the audio back into the camcorder. I'm not very "computery" and this would be a big deal for me. That's why I'm hoping there's a simple "little box" solution. I just wanna come home from my show and have my wife (no, I don't know how to do it) easily be able to put the video up on Youtube.

See, I provide the sound for a very popular live band karaoke contest. This is one of the recent videos (since I've been asked to take over providing the sound) that's been put on Youtube. I just want to get better sound quality. Oh, the mic in the video is my Line 6 XD-V70.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOHZS0ePWak&feature=player_embedded#at=11

So, does this "little box" exist? If so, what's the price, make and model?

Thank everybody!

Re: Wireless camcorder/audio question...

Screen shot 2011-02-23 at 11.45.35 PM.jpg

That would be Audio Technica's offering... the lower end of that price point is for single CH... the higher end will get you two CH or stereo ability. Those are list prices...
B&H has them starting around $500 for the single channel... and $1200 for the dual Ch.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&N=0&A=endecaSearch&InitialSearch=yes&Q=&Ntt=%2Baudio+Technica+1800

Other manufacturers have similar products... but prices will be similar... and then upwards once you get into the good Lectrosonics type stuff.

Good luck. :razz:

Any wireless device worth using isn't going to be worth buying for your application. It takes 10 minutes to capture the video and sync it to audio that's recorded separately; it might be worth learning how to do it.

Also, at small shows, the main mix out of the console is usually significantly different (in a bad way) than the room sound. You will probably find that the audio is unacceptable and you will want to continue using the mic anyway.

Most people that I know of record the board outputs and the room sound, import them both, delay the board feed to match the room, and mix the levels until it sounds 'live'. Obviously, this is far more complex than you want to deal with, but the mic is probably a better choice than the board feed.

You want the "ENG" (electronic news gathering) packs. The receiver looks much like an IEM belt pack, and the transmitter can be a belt pack, hand-held, or a "butt plug" transmitter that can be plugged onto a conventional mic or a console output.

Use a mono out from your desk to drive this and send it to one input on the camera, and use the on-camera mic for the other channel. I understand you don't want to go back and do a lot of work in post, so I'd just give the tracks a listen and use which ever one sounded better on that take.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

You want the "ENG" (electronic news gathering) packs. The receiver looks much like an IEM belt pack, and the transmitter can be a belt pack, hand-held, or a "butt plug" transmitter that can be plugged onto a conventional mic or a console output.

Use a mono out from your desk to drive this and send it to one input on the camera, and use the on-camera mic for the other channel. I understand you don't want to go back and do a lot of work in post, so I'd just give the tracks a listen and use which ever one sounded better on that take.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Tim, I 100% agree with you about the ENG packs...except, looking at the video quality, I am pretty certain that any wireless system he comes up with is going to cost more than his camera...which may be perfectly acceptable to him, but I'm thinking that it won't be.

Joseph, unfortunately, "Cheap" and "Good Wireless" are one of those mututally exclusive things.

Tim, I 100% agree with you about the ENG packs...except, looking at the video quality, I am pretty certain that any wireless system he comes up with is going to cost more than his camera...which may be perfectly acceptable to him, but I'm thinking that it won't be.

Joseph, unfortunately, "Cheap" and "Good Wireless" are one of those mututally exclusive things.

The good news is if he gets used Sennheiser or new A-T, he's got a piece he can bill as a line item for other types of events.

Joseph....

As others have noted you'll be better off with an "enhanced" board mix. You'll want room sound as well as board output to fully balance the audio. Otherwise you'll lack anything that has a high stage volume in the board mix. But the two sources (room and board) should be time-aligned by delaying the board mix to the room or camera mic. Or you could just invest in a good stereo mic and go straight to the camera.

Again, a "board dub" is not what you want to be putting out for your audio. Too many YouTube videos suffer from that as is.

OK, I'd like to know if something like this exists. Here's what I want to do. I want to be able to send a main mix out of the console and into my camcorder without the cable. Is there some sort of wireless device I can get that would do this?

IEM rig. I do this often for delay feeds and the occasional press-type feed in a venue where wired connection is impossible.

TERK LF30S Leapfrog WaveMaster 2.4GHz Transmitter / Receiver

I believe I said "billable.... on other events.."

As for whether or not he charges to shoot video of "karaoke bands" (how the hell does that work?), I really don't care.

That was intended as a friendly dig at Joseph.
(He doesn't charge extra for his wireless mics and I think he should!)
It's band-e-oke
They have a pretty talented house bands with a list of songs.
Singers come in, pick a song and the band plays it and they sing along.

Tim, I 100% agree with you about the ENG packs...except, looking at the video quality, I am pretty certain that any wireless system he comes up with is going to cost more than his camera...
Silas, I too was going to suggest the ENG kit, which I have used a number of times in board-feed situations, connecting the plug-on transmitter to the console.
But then I looked at the video because of your comment on it, and I realized that his first investment should be a tripod.

Silas, I too was going to suggest the ENG kit, which I have used a number of times in board-feed situations, connecting the plug-on transmitter to the console.
But then I looked at the video because of your comment on it, and I realized that his first investment should be a tripod.

Well, I wasn't the one and won't be the one recording these events. I'll mixing and letting someone else run around with the camera. Lots of good posts here! Gotta leave to get set up now.

Got it. Since "karaoke" usually means "without words" I was wondering how a "band-a-oke" would work... band without songs? Band without music?

Thanks for the explanation... could be a fun "stump the band" thing, too.

Tim Mc

Got it. Since "karaoke" usually means "without words" I was wondering how a "band-a-oke" would work... band without songs? Band without music?
Tim Mc

Actually Karaoke means "empty orchestra" in Japanes
Kara=empty
Oke is short for "Okesutura" which is the Japanese way of pronouncing orchestra.

but it does mean the music without the words

don't worry too much about the logic involved