Wireless Conference Systems

Sep 12, 2012
SW Ontario
Researching conference systems for a client, the client found this unit and wants something similar:

PylePro - PDWM8300 - Professional conference Desktop VHF Wireless Microphone System

Looking for 4-8 channels, not a big fan of Pyle gear, also not convinced that VHF would be appropriate for professional use. One idea that was tossed around was to purchase a number of Sennheiser 912s and Sennheiser sKP "cube" transmitters. Just curious if anyone else with experience would have any other recommendations.

Re: Wireless Conference Systems

You really can't cheap out on wireless in any situation. With cheap wireless you get poor S/N ratio, noisy companding circuitry, poorly made transmitters and receivers, and inflexible tuning, so if one channel that was free suddenly becomes occupied by something else you are forced to throw out the unit as opposed to just re-tuning to another channel.

Without better knowing the requirements of your situation I cannot comment on what would or wouldn't work, although I can speak highly of Sennheiser's wireless systems and have used many of them in installs without issue. If you are able to fill us in a bit more on what your needs are I'm sure you'll get lots of great responses.

It's for a board room in a hospital, looking for something that can be placed on a table top to cover 2-3 persons/mic for "round-table" style meetings. There is a JBL control system installed (ceiling speakers if memory serves me correct). Client prefers are wireless solution for aesthetics.

Shure Americas | Microphones, Wireless Systems, Headphones, Earphones

This does what you want in a nice looking way, but it only works with SLX which in the world of Shure wireless I usually would recommend ULX or above. How many total would you need? SLX might be OK if you have a distro and don't need more than like 6. On the plus side I can only speak highly of the Shure goosenecks.

Another option that I have personally used was simple Senny ew135 systems with tabletop stands. You wouldn't have the on/off functionality but the RF is as solid as the metal build on the transmitters and receivers.

check out the TOA infra-red systems TOA TS-800 Infrared Conference Systems
you put an emitter on the ceiling (looks like a dome camera) and the units communicate via IR. works really well and guaranteed no interference unless something blocks the sensors.
the only downside is that only 4 units can talk at a time, but that can be setup so that as new ones come on the oldest one gets bumped or there are other modes. this has the side benefit of removing the need for an automixer though since you can't physically turn all the mics on at once.

Jason

It's for a board room in a hospital, looking for something that can be placed on a table top to cover 2-3 persons/mic for "round-table" style meetings. There is a JBL control system installed (ceiling speakers if memory serves me correct). Client prefers are wireless solution for aesthetics.

I assume that drilling the tabletop isn't an option?

I pitched the Sennheiser option, they liked the price of the Shure system Peter reference better. We shall see how the SLX performs in a corporate environment.

How often is this going to be used? I have used wireless systems for the occasional conferencing use, in particular the Shure wireless bases referenced with the SLX4L receivers with logic outputs, but anyone I know that tried wireless microphones for long term, regular use was sorry they did and eventually most of those got switched to wired. If nothing else, having to deal with batteries and mics going dead in the middle of long meetings turned into more hassle than it was worth. If this is going to be in place most of the time or used on a regular basis I strongly recommend fighting for wired microphones.

Is this for audioconferencing, videoconferencing or both? What is handling the mixing, echo cancellation and interface to the CODEC and/or telephone line?

Think about how people will handle muting, which mics are live, coughs, etc. Also consider how the mics tie into remote control, echo cancellation, etc., it sometimes is advantageous to have the audio or control system actually control the muting or at least know the status of the mics. For example, if you are using automixing you don't want muted mics included in the NOM count nor do you want them factoring into any echo cancellation, noise reduction, etc.

Along the same lines, think of how the meeting function. Some meetings function as more a chairman and delegate approach where one person controls the meeting and only a limited number, maybe only one, person speaks at a time as managed by the Chair. Other meetings are much more free form. There are different systems and/or programming of control, mixing and audio processing more suited for different approaches.

Finally, don't neglect the room acoustics and basic things like where the speakers are relative to the mics, listeners and tabletop.

There is one more thing to consider - Security!

You said this is a board room and anyone can snoop that transmission from most systems...

If you check out the line6 digital wireless stuff they use encrypted communication and you set the security key so no one can listen to the conversation who shouldn't.

Use the bodypacks and the client can use lavs and/or pzm's connected to the bodypacks and you can run up to 14 transmitters in one setup.

I pitched the Sennheiser option, they liked the price of the Shure system Peter reference better. We shall see how the SLX performs in a corporate environment.

Spenser, is this for Teleconference?

I have 6 rooms in my facility with Biamp TC Processors and Shure SLX MX890's and they all work and sound great.

You shouldn't have much of an issue at all. I haven't tried to use them as an audio reinforcement option in our large room yet, I don't really want to. But I can see me having to try just to show how it could potentially be a bad idea.

No teleconferencing at this point, mics-->mixer-->Crown CDi amp-->Control ceiling speakers. Some of the rooms are configured different but that it how they will be used most of the time. Haven't gotten any feedback yet, re-reading this thread was a good reminder that I should follow up with the client.

Ah, Yea haven't tried them in the room as sound reinforcement yet. The one I'm interested in how well they'll work is in my largest room where its two stories tall. Be interesting to see how those wireless Microflex's work out. I'm VERY skeptical on how well they will work. But I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Just waiting for the Crestron installer to make the programming change so I can give it a go.